Oil cooler delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
So this isn’t a how to, more like an FYI. Just did an oil cooler delete on my 94 with a suspension lift. I’ve heard many guys say there is hardly any clearance with the front driveshaft, but with the suspension lift and the short filter there is 4” of clearance. Next oil change I’ll probably uses the long filter.

You must be registered for see images attach

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im glad I deleted the lines on mine but damn are oil changes messy. I wish there was the fitting that puts the filter sideways, only without the oil cooler ports. Or maybe I can just plug the ports on the stock oil cooler filter fitting

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lay a piece of thin cardboard on driveline and not much mess. I deleted mine to get rid of the dry starts because filter lays sideways.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
I wish there was the fitting that puts the filter sideways, only without the oil cooler ports
Didn't some of the RWD trucks have this kind of filter adapter from the factory?

Or maybe I can just plug the ports on the stock oil cooler filter fitting
Wouldn't that prevent oil from getting back into the engine? lol

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep returning to this thread to find the justification for removing the cooler. Because my thoughts are pretty much as per below....

This appears to be one way to shorten the lifespan of the motor..........

The rate of oil oxidation doubles with every 20degF (IRC).
Oxidation for those unfamiliar with the term is what thickens the oil and leads to carbon and sludge.
That oil thins with heat and loses its film strength goes without saying.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lay a piece of thin cardboard on driveline and not much mess. I deleted mine to get rid of the dry starts because filter lays sideways.

When I had the stock filter fitting there I could perfectly fit a coffee can under the filter that would sit on the driveshaft and catch all the mess and the filter and I wouldn’t spill a drop. But the lines leaked and I deleted them with the vertical filter fitting, but now oil changes are messy. Next time I’ll just knock a hole in the bottom of the filter and drain it before I remove it.

Didn't some of the RWD trucks have this kind of filter adapter from the factory?

Wouldn't that prevent oil from getting back into the engine? lol

I’ll have to look into the sideways filter setup with no lines. But I was talking about plugging the output ports to the oil cooler lines. I don’t see how that would prevent the engine getting oil, because the oil wouldn’t be going anywhere

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep returning to this thread to find the justification for removing the cooler. Because my thoughts are pretty much as per below....

Oxidation for those unfamiliar with the term is what thickens the oil and leads to carbon and sludge.

I better let my dad know that his 350 with no oil cooler that has made it 300k miles is in danger.

But seriously, many, many 350s have lived very long lives with no oil cooler. You’re not going to hurt anything by removing them. I was tired of the leaking lines, even when new, so I removed them.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I considered adding one on my 4.3l which doesnt really need it for this reason.

I know a lot of people delete them with no ill effects however