Odd starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everybody, my 97 5.7 suburban is having starting issues. While cranking everything dims and the starter sounds slow it usually takes two try's to get it started. I’ve installed a new battery and starter recently currently planning to replace fuel related components soon and possibly clean and reinstalled grounds hoping it’ll solve it.I’ll be posting a video of the issue soon. Does anybody have any advice?

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you clean the surface on the block that the starter mates to ? I've seen it really nasty on some that had a slower than normal turning speed, it is the ground for it, make sure you check other grounds as well as the positive cable for corrosion or bad ends,

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you installed the new battery was it fully charged? With new battery did it still start with the same condition? Remove and clean all heavy cable ends, battery and ground points. Inspect battery side cables, are the cables growing corrosion under insulation. If full of corrosion replace ends or cables.
Have any history of starter problems or starter concerns?

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bad starter, the cables are bad, or ground is bad.

Clean off all the connections.
Inspect the cables.
Ensure the ground is good.
Ensure the starter connections are solid
If it still cranks hard, have the starter tested where you bought it (or at a parts store)

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you installed the new battery was it fully charged? With new battery did it still start with the same condition? Remove and clean all heavy cable ends, battery and ground points. Inspect battery side cables, are the cables growing corrosion under insulation. If full of corrosion replace ends or cables.
Have any history of starter problems or starter concerns?
Battery was fully charged upon purchase. It started the same with the old battery which was from 2016 opted to replace it with a new battery however it still starts the same i did notice the positive connector was melted when i was putting in the new battery i cleaned it the best i could for the time being till i could get new cables.,

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check the ends and the other heavy connections, the cable ring eyes, the wire. Clean the contact areas, trying to push the amps through corrosion is a no go, low voltage high resistance , your positive cable is telling the story.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That, or the engine is unusually hard to turn over.

Generally, melted cables are due to high resistance--corrosion. Sometimes, melted cables are due to excess current flow.

Pull the serpentine belt, see if the engine cranks faster.