Nv3500-nv4500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i am about to do a trans swap my nv3500 is wore out and I wanted to put the nv4500 in it cause all I use it for is hauling I got a 1994 k1500 350 with a rv cam tuned by custom chips the nv4500 came out of a 06 2500 hd I just realized it haze a different slave cylinder would it be better to swap bell housings if possible and use my factory setup or swap to the 06 style slavecylinder

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Ive been looking into doing this with my 93 for a few months now,

The easiest would be to get a bellhousing with an external Slave cylinder from an early nv4500

The NV4500 is also a hair longer than the nv3500 and you will either need to cut and paste your existing driveshafts or get driveshafts from a similar year/model from a gmt400

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ‘95 and later NV4500’s had internal slave cylinders. I’d say get the matching master cylinder and hydraulic lines and rock it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have done this very swap to my truck. For the 94, you will want a 92-95 model bellhousing that has the external slave cylinder. I broke 3 NV3500’s (technically I broke two, and damaged the 3rd one) because my engine was built to towing and has way more than 300 ft lbs of torque the NV3500 is rated for.

I have an ECSB Z71, and I didn’t have to do any driveshaft modifications my aluminum one fit just like a glove, the transmission mount and crossmember fit perfectly as well. My transmission was from a 93 1 ton, so I didn’t have to do what you’re dealing with.

Now me personally, I like the external slave cylinder, because you don’t have to remove the transmission to access it.

I am running a ceramic disc clutch in mine to handle the power. My stock replacement slave cylinder works fine with it. The only thing I noticed was the NV4500 transmission makes a little more noise than the half ton transmission does, nothing horrible, but still noteworthy. You lose having synchronizers in 1st and Reverse with this transmission, so that is another thing to remember.

The reverse light connection is a ***** to get to with the transmission installed, so I would recommend connecting it before fully installing the transmission.

If you already knew all the fine details about the NV4500 I apologize, but if you didn’t know, now you do.

barry_g

Reaction score
good info.
Not to hijack...
I have a 1996, ecsb. bone stock..except the engine is very well built. We assume a slight over bore on a gm license rebuild.

I welded a frame, added leaf helpers.. doubled cross sills. made my own tire crossmember..
well, a silent a hell broke loose.

p-rated tires are worthless..as if I made a 10 ton half ton.

factory cab mounts worthless, transmission mount broke off sideways,
the cat blew out in a puff of dust and gutted the oem muffler with it.

I am factory nv3500.. it sounds like a supercharger.
very confident with the core shifter.
in no big rush, but have a chance to swap to nv4500.

I have questions about sensors, and different driveshaft lengths for different years.

I cannot seem to get through the new venture riddle on thisone.

I summed up all the babble with "96 and later? you don't need an nv4500 - it has the strongest nv3500 ever"

anyway.. I still want to swap.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I done this as well. I used a 2004 3500. You don't need to change bell housing. If you plan on bolting it up to your 350 then you need a clutch for a 1998 2500 or 3500 since they are not the same. The flywheel is the same as yours. You will need to have a different driveshaft. Get the U joints for 98 model 2500 or 3500 U joints, at least for the front and match the ones in the rear. Now My setup, a 1993 with original 350 engine. I kept the original bellhousing from the transmission (2004 NV4500 MW3). You don't need to do change the slave cylinder either. You can keep it the same as what the transmission. This keeps you from modifying the transmission to an external slave. Also keep you from having to find a NV4500 RT8 bell housing (which it is easier to find the Ark of the Covenant than that bell housing). You keep the hydraulic lines. Now the new bell housing has an extra bolt at top. That is for the LS style LQ4 that cam with that transmission. The other four bolts is the standard 1958 style. It will just bolt right up. The master cylinder in the 1998 -2007 is not compatible with your truck so you will have to keep your original master cylinder. You will have to remove the roll pin holding the old hose in and the line pops off then you put the 2006 line and it plugs right in and you replace the roll pin. Then bleed the lines. make sure you zip tie the hose away from the exhaust. Note: remove the fluid first. The fluid will eat paint. I have pictures of my swap in my profile. Now I also did a diff swap which changed my gearing from 3.08 to 3.73. I got a 92 2500LD which is the 14 bolt SF 6 lug. If you have those gear ratios then you can start in 2nd. the final gear ratios from my original setup made 1st in the old setup and 2nd in the new setup are real close. the problem with having a SCSB the 2wd version need a slip yoke from the transmission side. The 2wd version was setup with a two piece drive shaft. You can solve this two ways. Make a short piece from the tranny to a bearing mounted to the truck and a longer shaft to the diff that slips in the bearing or you can do as I did and added a Gearvendors. My original setup was with the OD ratio .73:1 X the 3.08 diff = 2.2484:1 to the wheels. the new setup with the OD from the main transmission the same as the old setup you have .73 X Gearvendors .78 X 3.73 diff = 2.123862:1. That is faster than my original setup and I have a meaty first gear (I can let off the clutch in idle, get out of the truck, walk around it and get back in it, its so slow.

What I would do in your shoes is replace the clutch (1998 k3500), Throw out bearing and get the flywheel resurfaced or new one. Bolt it up to the engine and torque it to the Haynes book specs. Swap the old hose with the new one on the old master cylinder. Bleed it. Have two shafts made (front and back). It cost me $250 for one new shaft since it was 2WD. Then enjoy.

You can look at my pictures of the swap in my profile. If you need more info just ask.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Ive been looking into doing this with my 93 for a few months now,

The easiest would be to get a bellhousing with an external Slave cylinder from an early nv4500

The NV4500 is also a hair longer than the nv3500 and you will either need to cut and paste your existing driveshaft's or get driveshaft's from a similar year/model from a gmt400
To keep from doing all of that just use everything from the bellhousing, clutch and slave cylinder that matches the tranny. It is a perfect match. I researched every possible direction, quadruple measured everything. The 350 block design did not change until the LS was introduced to the truck line in 1999. the NV4500 MW3 was in years 1998 - 2007. The bridge year is 1998. So if you want to match a older engine to the newer tranny you need to use 1998 3500 clutch and slave cylinder parts. Same if you want a LS mated to a older tranny.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is good info about the flywheel and clutch. My truck originally had an SM465, so when I did the engine swap I put a new flywheel and clutch in with it. I kept the same flywheel and clutch when I swapped in the ‘92 NV4500 MT8 (external slave cylinder and 6.3:1 1st gear). Fast forward a year, the clutch was shot so I had it, throwout bearing, and shift fork replaced. I also swapped the original SM465 master / slave cylinders for the NV4500 ones. Now the clutch is chattering when starting from a stop so I’m thinking this clutch is almost gone. I must have the wrong flywheel for this setup now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I have done this very swap to my truck. For the 94, you will want a 92-95 model bellhousing that has the external slave cylinder. I broke 3 NV3500’s (technically I broke two, and damaged the 3rd one) because my engine was built to towing and has way more than 300 ft lbs of torque the NV3500 is rated for.

I have an ECSB Z71, and I didn’t have to do any driveshaft modifications my aluminum one fit just like a glove, the transmission mount and crossmember fit perfectly as well. My transmission was from a 93 1 ton, so I didn’t have to do what you’re dealing with.

Now me personally, I like the external slave cylinder, because you don’t have to remove the transmission to access it.

I am running a ceramic disc clutch in mine to handle the power. My stock replacement slave cylinder works fine with it. The only thing I noticed was the NV4500 transmission makes a little more noise than the half ton transmission does, nothing horrible, but still noteworthy. You lose having synchronizers in 1st and Reverse with this transmission, so that is another thing to remember.

The reverse light connection is a ***** to get to with the transmission installed, so I would recommend connecting it before fully installing the transmission.

If you already knew all the fine details about the NV4500 I apologize, but if you didn’t know, now you do.
Your swap was much easier since it is within the 1992 - 1997 years. He is swapping a 1998 - 2007 transmission which the clutch and slave cylinder was changed. I learned that you can use a 1993 NV3500 clutch with the 98 slave but it actually preloads the clutch (like someone not fully engaging the clutch). I still pulled a loaded trailer with truck and trailer weighing just over 1400Lbs at a max speed of 80 mph on I20 near Pecos, Texas. Weight ticket is in my profile pictures. It was weighed without driver and passenger. Max speed up a 8% grade on I10 was 75 MPH (main transmission in 3rd and second transmission engaged) till the top then 10% grade at 65 MPH (main tranny in 3rd and second tranny disengaged).