NOT ANOTHER NOOB!!! (I've got questions too)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I picked up a '97 2500 yesterday in good shape in northern NC. I figured I'd come here to start learning more about the truck and share what I do with the truck in the future. I've been tinkering with cars a good amount my whole life, but I'd like to learn a little more about what I'm getting into before I start doing anything major to it.

So, here's what I know about the truck:
'97, 2500, 454, 98kmi, 4x4, silverado package, G80, 4.11's, 8600GVWR (has a 10.5"), it towed a 5th wheel for a short amount of time, no body cancer, frame is straight, engine runs well, and the tranny shifts fine also. It's got a little seepage from the rear main, tranny pan, and T-case main output but it's not bad. I'm also in need of a new stud in a rear wheel... I'll get to that in moment. The radiator was replaced because it leaked and it was full of "stop leak." He explained that the radiator was half-clogged with "stop leak" so he flushed the block and replaced the heater core. When I looked at the coolant bottle it had the red lettering and also the coolant bottle seemed full of muddy mess on the inside. Radiator was full of green coolant, so I'm confident in saying that there wasn't "stop leak" introduced to the block and it was Dex-cool doing its thing and turning to mud. Luckily the front end is in great shape and the front diff isn't leaking, 4x4 works, and everything functions properly. PO installed new axle shafts and a hub for the pass. side. All new pads/shoes/rotors as well.

-This leads me to a question: Do the intake manifold gaskets on these 454's and older 350/305's tend to fail? I have a slight coolant leak that seems to be coming from the passenger side of the lower plenum OR the water pump where it bolts to the block. The w/p has obviously been replaced and the plenum seems to have been removed in the past at some point.
-Does anyone know about "Jet Performance modules" and what, exactly, they're supposed to do? Are they just a box that fools the ECU into thinking the intake charge is colder or are they worth it? My truck has one... and i'm questioning if I should remove it.
-Are there any other things I should look out for or prepare myself in the futur? Any "Mile Markers" that 454's have?
-Finally, looking at my picture, can anyone tell me what wheel that is?

Before anyone says anything, I know it's not a Z71. I'm removing the vinyls on Monday but plan on at least keeping the 454 sticker on the tailgate. The rest of them are leaving. Also, the taillights are going to be replaced with factory ones. It came with a set of Ultra Motorsports wheels. 20x9's and chrome. They look cheap, and I think they'd look a lot better if I painted them a gunmetal color... but are they worth a crap? They're rated for 3500/each, but they're also Chinese. If they're junk I'm putting them on craigslist.

PICTURES:
You must be registered for see images attach

'Preciate it!

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sweet truck! And i like your plans! Intake gaskets are a definate weak spot in these

sent from my outdated S3

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! There's also a couple of other cosmetic things that need to be done E.G. indexing the rear bumper, fitting stock wheels, buffing some lenses, etc. It'll do for now, and will probably get a 4-6" lift and at least 35's since it has 4.11's already. Currently researching lifts that will also drop the front diff... and if I'll need a longer front driveshaft and all that.

But, that's maybe a year in the future. I travel as part of my job so it'll probably only get 4k-7k per year put on it.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Hey, welcome. Check the engine oil and tranny oil levels frequently until you get to know the truck better. Most 350/454's burn oil. If your tranny oil level drops other than the pan/rear main seep it could be the input shaft of the t-case letting tranny fluid into the t-case. I have the input shaft seal problem and it's not uncommon. Check where the heater hose connects to the intake manifold on the passenger side rear, that quick connect is junk and needs to be switched out for a different fitting 1/2" NPT I think. This is common for coolant leaks.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your tranny oil level drops other than the pan/rear main seep it could be the input shaft of the t-case letting tranny fluid into the t-case. I have the input shaft seal problem and it's not uncommon. Check where the heater hose connects to the intake manifold on the passenger side rear, that quick connect is junk and needs to be switched out for a different fitting 1/2" NPT I think. This is common for coolant leaks.

Excellent stuff. I planed on changing the t-case and both diff fluids this week. I'll keep an eye out for reddish gear oil from the t-case then.

Intake gaskets are a definate weak spot in these.

Same with most FWD Chevy's with "DEATH-COOL." I reckon once I clean it up properly I'll have another look using some compressed air.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
The t-case runs on the same fluid as your transmission, so you can't tell that way. If you pull the fill plug on the case and a fair amount of fluid comes out then I would say the seal is suspect. I just let my case fill all the way up, haven't had any issues in over 60k now with it like that.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The t-case runs on the same fluid as your transmission, so you can't tell that way. If you pull the fill plug on the case and a fair amount of fluid comes out then I would say the seal is suspect. I just let my case fill all the way up, haven't had any issues in over 60k now with it like that.

OH! Man. We never learned that at the dealership. I have a bunch of trans fluid at least. I'll keep an eye out for too much fluid.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figured I'd give a small update for the interested: So far I've found out my leveling keys are either not indexed properly or they're cranked up WAY too much. I went to a tire shop for some better-looking wheels and tires and they noticed. So at some point I'll be turning those down. They're "Maxx Suspension" if anyone cares to chime in.

I've got some radio power issues. I posted it in the Audio forum if someone would like to chime in.

I also removed the "JET performance" module. Shifts a lot smoother. Idle in park is not very smooth but is in D. 0-60 in 8.9 going down a slight grade, and I'm eating gasoline. I'm guessing my intake manifold is leaking somewhere as y'all suggested. I'll post a tutorial whenever I tear it down a few weeks from now.