NOOB QUESTION! Suspension kits???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pab's

Reaction score
I just purchased my 92 C1500 on my avatar, its in good shape but the suspension needs some attention. I've tried to google kits and what not but honestly I just don't know what I'm looking for. I'm very familiar with lifted trucks but not street trucks. I'm looking for a kit that will give me great ride and good handling. Ill post a picture so you can see the stance (previous owner said he it's stock suspension) I'd like to keep it the same or maybe even lower it just a bit . Thank you for your help with this noobish question. :worship:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drop it 4/6 on either belltech or djm. You could do 2/4 but 2 days later and you will kick yourself for not doing 4/6.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
50 views and nothing???

I missed the ninja edit but didn't you originally say you wanted to keep the same stance, and added the part about lowering it afterwards?

Keeping the same stance makes it tricky to accomplish much, other than just installing some good shocks, maybe improving on the front anti-sway bar, and ading a rear anti-sway bar - these will improve the handling and ride, but lowering it (properly) is a bigger part of that game.

Hard to tell from the pic but your wheel/tire combo doesn't look too drop-friendly, except for maybe a 2/2

Richard

Pab's

Reaction score
Yeah the ninja edit came because the previous owner finally verified that it was stock suspension, I wouldn't mind lowering it a bit to give it an aggressive stance. So any Belltech or djm kit should do the trick? I don't mind dropping some coin for a good ride/kit.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Nobody ever lowers one of these trucks 'just-a-bit! Not for very long anyhow! Lol! (It's a sickness! A damn disease! A slippery slope! Only cure is more lower!!!)

I wouldn't recommend drop lower control arms.
2/4 has it's issues. Install is a pita! Pinion angle can be a bit of a bear to dial in.
For the front, you can choose between the dropped spindles or short springs.
Dropped spindles maintain stock ride characteristics, as do the shorter springs. Only prob that I find with the springs is that they mimic the stock ride characteristics! Lol!
Short front springs need shorter shocks. Dropped spindles don't.
On a 2/4, you'll need shorter rear shocks.
Lowering a truck's center of gravity makes it handle better, but with that stock ride, what's the point?
Cutting front springs (Some will say "Don't!) increases the spring rate. A stiffer but more performance oriented ride!
1 coil = about 2".

Belltech spindles will kick the front wheels out by about a 1/2" each side.
DJM & McGaughy's wont.
4/6 requires all new short shocks.
Flip kits are comparable between the three.
From there, price would be the decision maker for me.
I think that covers it.

Reaction score
What SEWLOW said..
and he's right about it being a sickness. So just skip past the drop kits and go straight to bagging it..lol JK!

SouthJerseySteve

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey! Very interested in this post as I just picked up a very clean low mileage 96 step

Pab's

Reaction score
Would a 4/6 kit fit my truck currently? Looks somewhat low already so 4/6 seems like it wouldn't fit. ...maybe I just don't know enough.

thebaboss

Reaction score
I have a 95 rcsb with i believe ibox front springs. Its a decent low up front but the back is pretty high still and the ride is terrible. Any recommendations for a decent ride but still good amounts of low?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk