No air on driver vent only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL0WL0W

Reaction score
I've had these problems before. the whack you may have heard could have been from the linkage unbinding itself and not just the rubber degrading. I've also had the sticky degrading rubber cause it to stick a little but from the amount of pressure you said you put on it i doubt it. it should work fine now.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the actuator doing when it tries to adjust the sticking damper? Is the position indicator dial on the actuator rotating smoothly or is it hanging up?

I'm replacing the actuator because it doesn't reset to the correct index. I opened it up and the motor and gears are both working, but it only moves in one direction and does not reset back to the center index as it should. Getting a Dorman 604-107 as a replacement.

I've had these problems before. the whack you may have heard could have been from the linkage unbinding itself and not just the rubber degrading. I've also had the sticky degrading rubber cause it to stick a little but from the amount of pressure you said you put on it i doubt it. it should work fine now.

I had the inspection camera pointing at the door when I pushed the linkage, so I could see the door unbind. This was the same linkage that fell off previously. I think the sticking door may have been the cause. Going to lube the rubber along the doors to see if that helps.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The duct sits/connects to the air distribution case indicated by the arrow. Once air passes through this, as directed by the damper controlled by the mode actuator, there is nothing else in the duct between that point and the dash outlets.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just to make sure...you said that you can feel air out of the other three dash vents but not the far left vent. Correct?

If you were not getting any air out any of the four dash vents, then I'd say either the mode actuator is out of sync/isn't working or the air door itself has dislocated.

The diagram is from alldatadiy.com. Subscriptions are pretty cheap.

When you press the recirc button, it closes the fresh air intake damper and air is drawn from inside the vehicle. With the blower removed, you can see the damper behind it.
Hey man I have air coming out my front vents but also have it coming out on floor too bit much but enough when it’s selected to front inly

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My mode actuator indexes matches up with the photos you posted.

Yup, I tore this off initially. There's a single 7/32" screw holding it in. I can't really see into it, but I can reach in and feel the door change when the vent modes are changed. When the mode is set to front vents, the door is fully closed. However, with the fan set to high, a little bit of air is still pushed past the doors.

In the diagram you posted above, I don't get air out of 3, 5, and 6 in any setting. The weird part is I do get air out of 4 when set to front vent and defrost. When set to front vent, I also get air in the side defrost vents 2 and 9.

I'm guessing the defrost and front vents don't share an input. Does the attached image look right?

How do you pull the bottom off to see the blend door? I need to see if mine is turning right

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man I have air coming out my front vents but also have it coming out on floor too bit much but enough when it’s selected to front inly

There is a damper in the bottom of the box which has a rubber edge along all sides. It’s probably cracked or torn on yours. You can sort of see it by pulling the bottom floor vent at the transmission hump (one screw in the center). Replacement would require pulling the dash and separating the air box.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a damper in the bottom of the box which has a rubber edge along all sides. It’s probably cracked or torn on yours. You can sort of see it by pulling the bottom floor vent at the transmission hump (one screw in the center). Replacement would require pulling the dash and separating the air box.

Damn I can’t reseal it with anything. It comes out on the floor in the center and behind the blower motor

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it’s coming out behind the blower, then two things come to mind:

The entire case is split in half horizontally and the factory included a thin RTV type gasket between the halves. You may be able to block the leak with some duct tape (the silver kind that they use for sealing up air handlers).

Or, check the engine side firewall and see if you feel air coming out where the two evaporator lines go through. There’s a foam gasket that goes around the lines to seal the holes in the part of the casing that surrounds the evaporator. That may have deteriorated, but replacement requires pull the box.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The entire case is split in half horizontally and the factory included a thin RTV type gasket between the halves. You may be able to block the leak with some duct tape (the silver kind that they use for sealing up air handlers).

Or, check the engine side firewall and see if you feel air coming out where the two evaporator lines go through. There’s a foam gasket that goes around the lines to seal the holes in the part of the casing that surrounds the evaporator. That may have deteriorated, but replacement requires pull the box.
I’ll check the evap line area. I get air from behind the motor and out of all the floor vents when I select front vents

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I’m not having air come in while driving just noticed it while parked with ac on front vent it wasn’t blowing hard

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Have my blower motor out and while driving with the air off I feel outside air coming in from that area