Next chapter: College

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be taking my DD '93 ecsb to Auburn for the foreseeable future until I can either get another 400 to pound the miles on or a different vehicle completely. Auburn is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from where I live all interstate and highway. About ~230 miles so around 450 round trips. What do you guys think I will need for the trips (which hopefully I won't make many, I'll stay down there) as far as maintenance and emergency and even just cosmetic care? Even if it's obvious go ahead and say it because I don't want to leave anything out. I know ole girl is tough but it'll be tougher for a 23 year old truck to just now go to college. Advice and comfort very much needed. Just had a tune-up, new plugs caps rotor, fresh oil 5w30, 33" tires rotated and balanced, and fresh transmission fluid.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I'd say get a AAA membership and never worry about it again. Their platinum membership is like $60 per year, and you can use it up to six times per year. 350 miles of free towing per call. You could literally break down at college and have it towed home for free.

Reaction score
Personally, I'd say get a AAA membership and never worry about it again.

Agreed! I've used AAA to get a K5 from my house to the transmission shop when I decided it was too cold and I was too old to be bench pressing a transfer case. I also used them to get a new purchase home!

What would you do now if you broke down closer to home?

I carry a minimal socket/wrench set and a spare serpentine belt along with a tow strap and jumper cables and can of fix-a-flat. That's about it.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great advice guys especially AAA I hadn't even thought of that. I will heavily look into that but hopefully in the mean time it won't have a problem making the trips.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
AAA is worth its weight in gold, If you got old vehicles, its a must for me, It gets used every year.

As far keep in the truck stuff, I always keep jumpers, a tire plug kit, a 12v plug in compressor, my old serpentine belt, a couple hand tools, and a knife.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
AAA is a must. Just try to find out your exact location where you broke down before you call, otherwise they won't show up (ask me how I know...).

Here's several items that I carry in my truck: water, flashlight, fire extinguisher, a box of fluids (brake fluid, engine oil, transmission fluid, etc.), jumper cables, tools to change the tire, microfiber towels, paper towels, sunglasses (obviously), and most importantly a CD with your favorite music. Also, before you leave make sure the spare is properly inflated. If you don't ask AAA to air up your tire, they'll change it to the spare then leave you with a flat spare.

For cosmetic care, I would recommend a quick detailer like Meguiars Quick Detailer or a spray wax. The spray wax will need to be buffed a little, but after I use it my truck has a deep shine to it. Also, if you'd like to prolong the time your truck needs to be washed, a California Duster is a must. If you do purchase a california duster, make sure to leave the duster on some paper for a few days to soak the extra oil out of the brush.

Another tip, don't wear shorts on your road trip. If you do, bring a shirt or something to cover up your leg when the sun starts beating down on it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you should invest in a dash cam. Hopefully not, but just in case you do get into an accident it won't be your word against their word.

Last edited:

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well first of all, I'm here. Bad news though. Just about twenty minutes out my lifters started ticking pretty bad and the truck lost a ton of power. I'm here, but possibly without a truck. Engine temp and oil pressure were healthy the whole way though.