New truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebodell67

Reaction score
Nice looking truck. If I were to buy a new one I would consider a Ford. I am kinda a Chevy guy but I also own two Fords. My daily driver is a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis. I bought it from an old fellow who could not longer drive it. I have put about 25K trouble free miles on the car and would not hesitate to drive it across the country. It's like driving the couch to work. Have also owned Hondas, love their 4 cylinder engines. I had a 2016 Tacoma with a 6-speed, loved that truck, problem was during the covid mess the dealer offered me what I paid for it new. Truck was 4 years old, 50K miles. Just could not turn that offer down.
Long winded way to say drive what you like. They all have good and bad points to them. Before I found my '97 K3500 I had bid on Fords, Dodges, Cornbinders, and Chevys.

Daly

The great white Canadian
Reaction score
As someone who's owned Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks, I have zero loyalty to any of them. I'd even buy a Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra if I could afford one.
I honestly always forget about the Titan, and a friend of mine has one. Another friend only buys Tundra's, swears by them. But he also only leases them. I like the new one, the old Tundra was very dated to me, but it goes the same with the ecoboost. Working a turbo 6 in a fullsize is not an efficient way to go about it. Sure when it's empty, but pulling a load hurts the fuel efficiency quite a bit.

Daly

The great white Canadian
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. If I were to buy a new one I would consider a Ford. I am kinda a Chevy guy but I also own two Fords. My daily driver is a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis. I bought it from an old fellow who could not longer drive it. I have put about 25K trouble free miles on the car and would not hesitate to drive it across the country. It's like driving the couch to work. Have also owned Hondas, love their 4 cylinder engines. I had a 2016 Tacoma with a 6-speed, loved that truck, problem was during the covid mess the dealer offered me what I paid for it new. Truck was 4 years old, 50K miles. Just could not turn that offer down.
The Covid deals is what got me into the last truck and out of a truck I swore I would keep. I had an 18 RCSB Sierra and the dealer offered me more than sticker, which was already way more than I paid (this was back when you got incentives). Long story short, I ended up trading it for a 6.2 Trail Boss in 2020. Still got incentives on it and was about to pull some money and just pay cash for the Trail Boss.

I like the Tacoma, sadly they are not a comfortable vehicle for me. Not a fan of the seating position, but I love that they are still stick shift. Might look at the redesigned ones when they come to the dealers and see if that has improved.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I honestly always forget about the Titan, and a friend of mine has one. Another friend only buys Tundra's, swears by them. But he also only leases them. I like the new one, the old Tundra was very dated to me, but it goes the same with the ecoboost. Working a turbo 6 in a fullsize is not an efficient way to go about it. Sure when it's empty, but pulling a load hurts the fuel efficiency quite a bit.
The ecoboost trucks are great and all if all you plan on doing is going back and forth to work and the occasional trip to pickup lumber or something like that, but I wouldn't put anything heavy behind them. When I used to be a Ford tech, we had plenty come in for issues and 9 times out of 10 when we'd ask the owner what they were using them for we'd get an answer somewhere along the lines of "I use it to pull my 24'+ travel trailer or my (insert big heavy boat here) around." Same thing happened when I worked for Dodge and the EcoDiesel trucks came out. People think "hur dur. It's a diesel so I can pull anything with it", Then it'd blow up a week later. I never understood the thought process these people have when buying a half ton truck to do 3/4 ton+ plus truck things with. Don't get me wrong, I have overloaded the hell out of some of my half ton trucks, but I don't do it often and I know that it isn't made for it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my experience, Ford guys tend to mind their own and do what they do.
I think the disaster that was the 6.0 Powerstroke humbled them.

The ecoboost trucks are great and all if all you plan on doing is going back and forth to work and the occasional trip to pickup lumber or something like that, but I wouldn't put anything heavy behind them. When I used to be a Ford tech, we had plenty come in for issues and 9 times out of 10 when we'd ask the owner what they were using them for we'd get an answer somewhere along the lines of "I use it to pull my 24'+ travel trailer or my (insert big heavy boat here) around."
In their defense, Ford touts the Ecoboost's towing capacity pretty hard. The smallest EcoBoost is rated at over 10k, while an '88 C3500 is rated at 9k.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ecoboost trucks are great and all if all you plan on doing is going back and forth to work and the occasional trip to pickup lumber or something like that, but I wouldn't put anything heavy behind them. When I used to be a Ford tech, we had plenty come in for issues and 9 times out of 10 when we'd ask the owner what they were using them for we'd get an answer somewhere along the lines of "I use it to pull my 24'+ travel trailer or my (insert big heavy boat here) around.

Many, many people pull (way too) heavy campers every day with those things. After you actually spend time doing it, you can see why. The torque that starts at 1500 rpms in a gas motor is addicting.

I would never pull anything too big with mine, and would keep the rpms up so the motor runs a bit less boost/cooler. People like to be stubborn about pulling at low rpms, which seems to kill the ecoboost.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the disaster that was the 6.0 Powerstroke humbled them.

In their defense, Ford touts the Ecoboost's towing capacity pretty hard. The smallest EcoBoost is rated at over 10k, while an '88 C3500 is rated at 9k.
The 6.0 started it, but the 6.4 was the finisher honestly. The 6.0 if left completely stock with no tuner or anything can be pretty reliable. It's when people started straight piping them and doing crazy tunes that sent the 6.0 into a spiraling hell. The 6.4s were junk from the beginning. Our diesel side of the shop stayed full of those damn things.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping them bone stock didn't help. There were plenty of fleet 6.0s that drove businesses bankrupt.

My Air Force Reserve shop had four bobtails (shortened wheelbase F350s) with 6.4s. They were garbage from the word go, but they never blew up. It was kinda scary, though, when you'd been idling for a while and resumed driving and the engine decided to burn off all the pooled fuel in the turbo. You'd have your feet completely off the pedals and truck wanted to do 40 mph on the flightline! Instead of fixing it, Ford tried to blame the company that did the bobtail conversion!