New to this forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckbros

Reaction score
I have a 1990 K2500 & I found this forum while searching for cooler lines. A while back I removed the oil cooler lines & immediately the oil pressure increased a bunch. I put Melling MFA 350 adapter on it for installing the oil filter. The pressure will peg the gage when cold & drop to about 45 when it warms up. Is there any way to lower the oil pressure? I am running 10W30 Mobil One. The engine has about 100,000 miles on it.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Like @El Tigre said. gauge is not precise. Need to do a mechanical pressure gauge check and may need new oil pressure sender.

buckbros

Reaction score
I understand the accuracy of the gage may not be the best but this started immediatley
after the removal of the cooler lines. Reading some posts on other websiites this is not uncommon. Could it be the Melling MF350 adapter?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pressure will peg the gage when cold & drop to about 45 when it warms up. Is there any way to lower the oil pressure? I am running 10W30 Mobil One.
Run it. My gauge pegs out on startup and on hot days will drop below 60 psi. You could try dropping to 5W20 oil if you're really worried.

buckbros

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I was just wondering if the high pressure could actually cause seals or something else to leak? I put a new crate engine in the truck several years ago and I have about 100,000 miles on it. The truck itself has over 300,000 on it. The lines were leaking so I eliminated them. Now it is still leaking somewhere towards the front of the engine. I have not had a chance to try to locate the leak. Due to some medical reasons I'll have to have someone else look at it.