New to the forum. Have a few Vortec questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C250098

Reaction score
Greetings everybody I'm new to the forum and have a few questions to ask.
I just recently purchased the truck in my signature and I'm not quite sure what direction I should go with the build. I won't be towing with it very often and it will be my daily driver. I was wanting to add either the HT 383 cam or the LT4 hot cam With the LS6 valve springs. Do the spider injector upgrade, Add some short tube headers, Do a complete tune up and add a slightly higher than stock torque converter. And of course a black bear tune. From what ive researched I haven't found anything directly related to a three-quarter ton truck. will this combination give me a balance of daily driver reliability with the occasional towing capabilities?? Thanks all for the help in advance.

SEMPER FI

SH98GMC

Reaction score
Welcome! I would take a look at this thread --> "http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?12428-The-Ultimate-88-98-Performance-Toolbox" if you haven't already. It contains lots of useful information

C250098

Reaction score
That was one long thread but I made it through. I think I am still going to use my LT4 Cam swap idea with the appropriate springs. With the new springs can I run 1.6 ratio rockers And still be under the maximum lift? Also do I need to get the ECM reprogrammed before I swap out the cam?

Semper Fi

SH98GMC

Reaction score
I know nothing about that LT4 Cam, so I can't answer your roller rocker question. I know with the new springs you can get close to 0.550 maximum lift. Just gotta remember, with computer controlled engines you can't go too lumpy. I would get it tuned after if everything works out. Lol

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
welcome! and as for your questions, run over to the engine section of the thread and post them there- there are some gearheads in here who could answer your questions!

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Beware, you CAN'T get that much lift with just new springs. The LS6 springs combined with comp 787 retainers will get you between .525 and .550 max lift. I would also suggest to look into getting another cam that's more designed for low-end torque compared to the higher-end horsepower of the LT4 cam. One i've always liked, especially with a slightly higher stall torque converter is the Lunati 60120 http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2010 or its bigger brother the 60121 that has the powerband about 200 RPM higher

C250098

Reaction score
Lol I was going to get the retainers, just didn't mention it bc I thought it was a given. That seems to be a real nice cam. Keep the stock rockers or no?? What stall would you recommend?

Semper Fi