New tires for my 17x8 wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5SPD350

Reaction score
My summer tires are whipped and I need a new set.

I have Summit Racing legend 5 wheels in gray/chrome and they are 17x8 with a 4.5" backspacing and say a maximum recommended tire diameter of 30"

I currently have 255/60/17 General Altimax HP tires on them. They have worn decent, but the center seemed to have worn before the outsides not sure if it has to do with improper tire size for wheel width.

So I'm doing my research this time. What I've found is that a 275/55/17 which is what I want to use is ideal for 8.5" wheels. But, a 275/60/17 is ideal for 8" wheels.

However the 275/60/17 is right at 30" and is the maximum height the wheel recommends. I imagine it's having to do with the amount of bead on the wheel and having any larger sidewall it would run into a risk of popping off the bead when the sidewall flexes?

I currently only have 2" shackles in the rear to have the truck sit level. But I do plan to do a 2/4 drop in the future.

Will a 275/60/17 fit without rubbing? I'm thinking of getting Hankook Ventus ST, or Toyo Proxes ST II.

If you have any other suggetions as far as tire size, or tire model itself that will fit my specific wheels let me know that too.