New project DRW CCLB GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigKahuna

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stumbled upon an ad on Craigslist for this 97 DRW CCLB 3500 for $1000.. Called and got some pics and the story on ot, which was him buyonh it for yhe landscspe bed that it had. Before hetting off the phone ot was a $600 dollar truck... Went with the trailer to look at it, and it has some issues, so I decided to pass. For the next 2 days this truck teased my dreams.. It is a fust free cab, 1 ton, dually, and cheap.... Wishing it was a 4x4 and had less issues I was reluctant when the previous owner called, but I anwsered and was told to come get it for $300... Couldnt walk from that! Hooked the Av to the trailer and off we went to fetch..

Lots of plans for it, but really looking for a bed and interior 1st to get her on the road...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

BigKahuna

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would lo e to sas it, but I am going to be using it as my tow vehicle for the trailers so it is likely staying 2x4. I might if the right parts truck emerges swap it to 4x4 but it would be factory.

The Avalanche on the other hand will be gettting sas with 8lugs and a d60 in the ass with lockers.

BigKahuna

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update...Working on it and cleaingin it up I have found that it was actually a pickup and not a cab only so that means my bed mounts are correct and the frame is not the dreaded longer lenght. Downside is the gubers cut the passanger side fromt mount off! Thank god for a parts truck and a welder!

Been doing more planning on the direction of the dually, and have decided that she will be the new tow vehicle so comfort, reliability, and power are the focus. Here is a starting list of ideas...

1. Cloth buckets interior with console and door panels from a suburban
2. Power locks and windows from same suburban.
3. Needs new door pins and bushings.
4. Kodiak door handles
5. 4x4 is still a maybe,
6. Diesel front bumper
7. Going to swap the 5.7 out, just need to figure out which dorections to go..... thoughts? Duramax? Cummings 12v? Dt466 :) ??

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update...Working on it and cleaingin it up I have found that it was actually a pickup and not a cab only so that means my bed mounts are correct and the frame is not the dreaded longer lenght. Downside is the gubers cut the passanger side fromt mount off! Thank god for a parts truck and a welder!

Been doing more planning on the direction of the dually, and have decided that she will be the new tow vehicle so comfort, reliability, and power are the focus. Here is a starting list of ideas...

4. Kodiak door handles
5. 4x4 is still a maybe,
6. Diesel front bumper
7. Going to swap the 5.7 out, just need to figure out which dorections to go..... thoughts? Duramax? Cummings 12v? Dt466 :) ??

Since I don't know what Kodiak door handles look like do you have a pic you could post ? How hard is the install ? Thanks

BigKahuna

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good pic showing the difference. Not any harder then changing a stock handle. Kodiaks use this bigger handle and a different lock bar (internal) so they need to be swapped too.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Good pic showing the difference. Not any harder then changing a stock handle. Kodiaks use this bigger handle and a different lock bar (internal) so they need to be swapped too.

Okay thanks. Looks good.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score

4. Kodiak door handles
5. 4x4 is still a maybe,
6. Diesel front bumper

Nice truck! Good deal. I think a cummins 12v would be best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Man I like the truck, heck of a deal to. Good luck with finding the door rods for the Kodiak handles, i've been looking forever and can't find any. Let me know if you stumble across two extras :p