New member at a loss for solutions for a miss/stumble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backpressure

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Been lurking here for about 6 months and decided to join so I can ask this question. I did search the forums and came up with nothing that matches my issue. 1996 4.3L Vortec C1500 140k miles.

About 2 weeks ago, I replaced my cap and rotor, plugs, and wires to fix a miss. Everything was fine until about 5 days ago when the truck developed a new (and much worse) miss. The thing is, the miss only occurs in gear (any of the forward or reverse gears) and when I am sitting still (i.e. at stop lights, in traffic, any time I am still for more than 15-20 seconds) or when going up a fairly steep hill. If in park, the truck will run perfectly until the sun burns out. The longer I sit, the worse the miss gets. It starts out about once every 10 seconds and progresses to almost constant if I sit long enough. When the time comes to take off, the truck will hesitate and miss a time or two, then be perfectly fine until I stop again or go uphill. I checked all of the wires, none are crossed; all the plugs are gapped correctly and none are fouled. The only real clue I have is a fairly loud click every time the engine misses. I took a video of it both in the engine bay and inside the cab to show you what I mean. The cap and rotor still look clean and nice inside; no severe fouling or copper buildup in the terminals from bad plug wires.

I am simply at a complete loss. I can't imagine it being a fuel injector/pump issue because it's perfectly fine under none, low, moderate, and heavy loads unless going uphill. I figure if it was a timing issue, it would occur at different times throughout the drive and while in park. The plugs are OEM Delcos gapped to 0.60", plug wires are Bosch (can't find Delcos locally), cap/rotor are Duralast Gold (again, all I can find locally) I've had the truck for 7 years and have never had any issues save the cap/rotor needing replaced annually. Oil is fresh, air filter is clean, fuel filter is less than a year old, fuel pump primes flawlessly, has the normal whine, and was replaced about 3 years ago. I had a 97 K1500 5.7 do the same thing and it turned out to be a throttle position sensor that was bad; I replaced the TPS on my current truck - no change in the miss.

One final note: I do have a "bad" cat. It is bad simply in the fact that the asbestos coating has broken free. There isn't any clogging inside of it and no vaccuum from the exhaust. There is a code for the cat because exhaust is flowing around the broken coating instead of being filtered, so the O2 sensor is throwing a fit. I can't imagine that causing this type of miss/stumble. It's been broken for a year with no issues until now.

Also, the oil pressure jerks pretty badly when the miss occurs. Don't know if that's relevant,

Thanks in advance.

video:
As best I can tell, the click is coming from the passenger side. This video shows what I mean by "the miss gets almost constant if i sit long enough". It sounds like one cylinder is misfiring every time its turn comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Qc3IGcBMg

In the second video, there is a miss early on and four in quick succession toward the end. I took this one to show how the oil pressure gauge jumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FclFKsRGJ_4

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not exactly sure about that clicking, but have you checked for vacuum leaks? I had a similar issue which actually caused my 4.3 to die at stop lights occasionally. Turned out to be a bad vacuum line.

Backpressure

Reaction score
Not exactly sure about that clicking, but have you checked for vacuum leaks? I had a similar issue which actually caused my 4.3 to die at stop lights occasionally. Turned out to be a bad vacuum line.

I've checked them while in park. Pulled the lines, plugged them with my thumb and unplugged, the engine sputters just a bit when unplugged.
It's rather hard to check the lines when it is missing because it has to be in gear to do so. it doesn't die at lights per se, it tries to die, then catches itself and idles back up. rinse, repeat until I get moving. Maybe the MAF sensor?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
That sounds like a current leak on one of the plug wires. Have you got them routed correctly? I have heard that "popping" noise before and it be mini-lightning bolts jumping out of a plug wire to something thats grounded. If you are brave, you can check for this by running your hand up all the wires from the plug to distributor. Could also be a cracked plug causing the same result.

Backpressure

Reaction score
That sounds like a current leak on one of the plug wires. Have you got them routed correctly? I have heard that "popping" noise before and it be mini-lightning bolts jumping out of a plug wire to something thats grounded. If you are brave, you can check for this by running your hand up all the wires from the plug to distributor. Could also be a cracked plug causing the same result.

I'm going to go out and run my hand up all 6. Dad liked to play tricks on me as a kid (like "hey! stick your thumb on the terminal of this wire while i start the car and let me know if it has voltage!"). A little jolt won't bother me TOO badly. I'll report back in about 10-15 minutes.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You can unplug them off the distributor cap one at a time and see which one makes the least difference in how it runs. That will point in the direction of the problem.

Backpressure

Reaction score

Welp, I definitely found a shorted wire. Number 2 plug wire was separating from the rubber mount that goes onto the plug itself. I'm gonna hop on the bike and make a trip to the parts store for an exchange. I'll be back in about half an hour (I gotta test drive it and see if the problem is fixed). You may have just solved the problem that's been plaguing me for a week. I'll let you know.

Backpressure

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, that seemed to fix it. No more miss when stationary and it feels like it just runs "right" again as opposed to something feeling off before.

HUGE thanks to you guys that chimed in and helped fix the problem! I'm glad it was something so simple, but ashamed that I couldn't figure that out myself. I've restored 2 corvettes, I should know better. :Frustrated:

If the miss comes back, I'll probably just revive this thread for the sake of ruling things out. I look forward to posting here and getting better acquainted with you guys.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I've found plug wires to be the most frustrating thing the last few years. All of them out there are terrible quality, all of them.