New here today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scruffy

Reaction score
Bought a 92 K1500 Silverado ecsb back in August. Have been working on it, and working it since. In a bit over my head, I'm more of a points and carburetor guy than I am an EFI and electronic ignition guy.

Truck runs great, only 2 forward speeds work out of 4, transfer case and front axle are spot on, bed is rusted out in the usual places. Typical farm truck that needs to be made highway ready again. Not bad for $300 (yes three hundred dollar selling price, buddy deal) on a truck that sat a couple years and needed the tires aired up, some coolant, and a new battery to drive it home. The truck gets worked almost daily in our 400+ tree pecan orchards or supporting other farm and campground activities. I know I'll burn the 700r4 the rest of the way out by driving it, but, it's the only 4x4 in our 7 truck fleet (2 Rangers, 85 C10, 87 C60, 69 Dodge, 49 Dodge, 92 K1500).

Started reading the site for repair advice, got hooked and decided to join up. I know I'll have a lot of catch up reading to do before I start asking tech questions. Might end up doing a build thread as the truck gets beefed up and put back in full service. Wife is throwing a fit that I use it farming instead of "making it big, shiny and mean"...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Welcome!
Listen to the wife! Between us here, & her, we could make that truck a money pit!
I've spent too much $$$ on my trucks! I blame this place! It's a bad influence!

Scruffy

Reaction score
The only pics I had were on a phone that got broken, so, I'll take some more. Currently the truck is a faded out 2 tone blue.

Plan is a mild lift, either 285/75R16, 315/85R16 or 9.00-16LT mud tires, and a front bumper made of some 6" structural i-beam faced with 6x12 or 8x12 red oak. Fix the bed rot or replace with a flatbed. Have a 10 ton winch off our old shrimp boat that I'd like to install. Fully box, if not outright wrap the chassis. Pump up the 700r4/NP241 combo so it will survive behind the 330 horse crate engine in the truck currently, or sacrifice some potential gas mileage in favor of a th400/NP205 or 208. Replace the thermocouple front axle piece with a solid piece.

Fancy, no. Durable, yes. This rig has to last a while, including surviving the country's worst drivers, the Interstate 40 loop around Memphis.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
My suggestion is to get a K3500 to start with.... much stronger frame. Unless you plan to run over trees on a regular basis, the proposed front bumper is way on the overkill side. You will bend the frame if the bumper does not give, and you hit something hard enough.

Scruffy

Reaction score
My suggestion is to get a K3500 to start with.... much stronger frame. Unless you plan to run over trees on a regular basis, the proposed front bumper is way on the overkill side. You will bend the frame if the bumper does not give, and you hit something hard enough.

Funny you mention running over trees... the back 15-20 acres is straight up jungle.

Pretty sure it already has a minor kink in the frame from the buddy I got it from. He put it in a ditch at a high enough rate of speed, unbelted, to shatter the dash, shatter the windshield, cave in the bumper, and shove the driver side of the clip back about 1/4 inch.

Finding a K3500, W3500 or F350 down here worth buying is next to impossible unless you pick up a "fully loaded" repo.