New GMT400 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
I just yesterday brought home my very first Chevy pickup. Dad owned a 94ish Chevy 1500 Z71 4x4 extended cab back when I was a little tike and neighbor (whom is like an uncle) owns a 98 Chevy 2500 4x4 extended cab so I have always loved these year trucks.

My current DD is a 88 Ford F150 4x4 and I have been modifying it for 6 or 7 years now and I love her alot but with her small 302 that has been rebuilt and can only go so far with I need another truck that I can use for long distance things since my job (MOD at local DG) may require some long distance things. So I have been wanting either a bronco, 88-98 silverado, or a 06-07 powerstroke that I could buy myself and modify to my likings.

When a co-worker of mine said he had a 89 Chevy 2500 350 for sale I quickly looked at it. Needing lots of work me and him went back and forth on it for a few months till we came to an agreement of $150. It needs a little body work, the engine at the least needs regasketed, and it needed a little interior work but I figured at $150 I couldn't loose and frankly I wanted a project anyways so here it is.

I still have some regular TLC and maintenance stuff on my 88 Ford to take care of but I plan to work on both slowly but surely and use the Chevy to haul anything I may need or want yet be taken care of right so it looks cool and can go long distance. My ford will just be used to get to and from work.

So before I say a small list of what I want on the chevy let me tell you a little about myself

I have been a member of ford trucks enthusiast for 5 years while I slowly work on my baby and have grown to liking the forum world as I learn alot and every issue I can't figure out has been fixed with their help.

I live with a family of 6 including me with between all of us owning this list:
85 Chevy 305 G20 van (dad's baby we have had it for 14 years)
88 Ford F150 308 4x4 (mine)
89 F250 4x4 351 (ranch truck)
89 F350 4x4 460 (crazy 4x4 project of the familys)
90 F150 4x4 302 (dad's DD/ keep up with me truck)
91 F150 4x4 300 (brother's DD)
91 F250 4x4 460 (other brother's DD)
92 F250 4x4 351 (4x4 recovery truck that is also used around the ranch soon)
92 F150 2wd 300 (the boys back up truck since it is a stick)
93 Lincoln Town car (dad's mistake car IMHO)
10 F150 4x4 5.4 (dad's good truck)
04 Envoy XUV 5.3 (mom's DD)
80 Mustang 351 swapped (Sister's DD)
14 spark (mom and dad's long distance car)

All of them need work and we help each other out fixing them and we learned from dad having back up trucks is a good idea.

I live on a non-maintained backroad that once it rains if you don't have 4x4 or a winch you can't get in and out. If it snows you better know what you are doing or you will end up in a ditch. It sucks sometimes but I love it really because nobody around me.

I have to drive 44 miles round trip to work at the local Dollar general. My job isn't much but it pays what I need and it is fun with my co-workers. When I am not at work I am looking up ideas on modifying one of my trucks and sometimes my familys. I love working on our cars even though some I don't like the worlds most I will let you guess which few.

I will be 20 at the end of this month and although I am young I do my best to learn as much as I can so I don't mess up in the long run especially on our vehicles. I am going to say right off that nothing of this truck or my 88 is going to be paid by my dad or anybody else of my family I plan to slowly do everything myself so it will take a long time to get it where I exactly want just like my 88 is going.

So some things I have decided on doing on my Chevy:
later style headlights and turn lights in a smoked style
billet later style grille (when I say later style I mean like my neighbors 98 chevy) not sure black or chrome yet
gun metal gray with black flares paint job
led black/smoked tail lights
custom stereo so I can listen to my music (I love a good bass as I listen to Hick hop/rebel core/country rap)
6-8inch lift and 35-37in tires
painted to match shell (hopefully the one I have in the yard fits)
fix the exhaust system (3 1/2" single glasspack with no cats is what it has now) see if I like it if not dual flowmasters 45ed out the back may do this either way
possibly SAS
custom/winch bumpers (I want the truck to be able to go anywhere like my 88)
black interior
raise or replace the current front seat (out of a 2000s chevy)
small cowl hood or ram air hood
rebuild the 350 with better cam, aluminum heads, headers, upgrade the TBI, possibly turn into 383 stroker, better intake, better ignition, whatever I can to get 350ish HP and good number of torque at the wheels no flywheel numbers for me
regear to a good gears (got a few questions on that)
delete the tailgate panel that is busted
new headliner
led light bar on the roof
led back up lights
17-18" black/machined look wheels (I want an aggressive yet not illegal look on the truck)
and probably more that I haven't figured out yet

sorry for the long post
Travis

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like a fun project, chip away at it when you can! I know a few things about having projects lol.

Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like a fun project, chip away at it when you can! I know a few things about having projects lol.
Ya I hate that it will take me a while but so be it.

$150.... I'll have to go find it, but I saw a late 90s Sierra z71 ECSB that the price was listed at 12k
Ya at $150 I don't care if everybody else in the family call her ugly right now I love her. Dad however knows I did good since like I said I could part it out for more.
I will get pics of her up ASAP.

I wish I could of driven her home yesterday but the battery was so shot that I had to tow it. I can't afford a battery just yet. I may grab my cables and jump it with one of my other batteries that are dead but will start it with a jump. I heard the truck running a few months ago and she sounded pretty decent for a non-maintained truck that leaks like a sieve.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
For 150 you could scrap it and win lol.

But projects are more fun, let's see some pics!

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Ya I hate that it will take me a while but so be it.

Ya at $150 I don't care if everybody else in the family call her ugly right now I love her. Dad however knows I did good since like I said I could part it out for more.
I will get pics of her up ASAP.

I wish I could of driven her home yesterday but the battery was so shot that I had to tow it. I can't afford a battery just yet. I may grab my cables and jump it with one of my other batteries that are dead but will start it with a jump. I heard the truck running a few months ago and she sounded pretty decent for a non-maintained truck that leaks like a sieve.

$150 is a steal. I can't find anything less then $800 that is even salvageable around here. At $800 and less, people list them as parts trucks or scrap trucks. It kind of sucks because I'm really wanting to get a project I can work on and be proud of. I don't just wanna buy a pristine truck. Wouldn't be nearly as proud of it then