new from texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinRGV

Reaction score
yeah Im a natural born Texan and even though I didnt live there very long I would love to be there now... everything is so much nicer (without the Wisconsin winters and salt). and Im just a year and a half out of highschool. (graduated early) I worked in highschool so I always had money to throw into my money pit 93 obs and it is so nice to put your OWN money and your OWN time into making your car/truck. as apposed to mommy and daddy opening their wallets for you. major props man and good luck. really looking forward to watching the progress of your truck.

side note.... are those wheels polished, can I see a picture of them (Ive been throwing around the idea of polishing the faces of my winter (astro) wheels and painting the inserts black...

thanks man and yea they are polished. i polished them myself. go to wlamart and buy a paint stripper spray can, put some on the rims and let it sit for about 5 minutes. then get a scraper and scrape off all the clear coat until it is all off. with a pressure washer wash the rims until all the chemicals are off. then with mothers cream mag and aluminun ploish, add some to the rim and with a rag scrub it all until it gets black then just rub it more until it takes off. it gives a good look to it

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a set of acura wheels I polished a while back when I had my honda... not fun. I think Im gonna give my dad the astro wheels. hes gonna drive his stock ride height obs in our "beautiful" wisconsin winter, and I am not gonna drive mine. right now the Astros have blizzaks on them and I dont feel like buying all seasons for them

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome KevinRGV, I'm a newbie here as well. I'm originally from Brownsville, live in Houston now. Still have family down there.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Welcome.
Around here, most of the lowered trucks, sc.'s, ec.'s, & cc.'s, are fleetsides. And the phantom grills are few & far between. The plans that you have for your truck would make it a real headturner in this area.
Good for you for doing this yourself, & not on M&D's dime. My Dad is/was a mechanic, and would not allow me to drive an unsafe vehicle. Taught me early about preventative maintenence. Any $$$ that I needed for regular maintenence, he'd lend me, but I HAD to pay it back. Kept a record of every $$$ that I ever borrowed from him. Any (what he called) frivolties, came out of my own pocket, and I had better not of owed him anything if I was to buy a set of custom wheels or a new stereo! Only did that once! His way to teach priorities.
I grew up around antique, custom & hot-rodded vehicles. Dad's got a 3000 sq.ft. shop at his house, full of finished antique cars. He could of easily given me, or bought me a vehicle. He absolutely refused to do that. I was one of the last of the crew that I hung around with to get a vehicle of my own. Bought & paid for myself. Really pissed me off at the time, but it wasn't until I had my own vehicle, that it dawned on me what the point that he was making meant. I took better care of that vehicle than most of my buddies did theirs. The ones that their parents had bought for them. Learned the value of a dollar & a hard day's work.

Last edited:

kevinRGV

Reaction score
Welcome.
Around here, most of the lowered trucks, sc.'s, ec.'s, & cc.'s, are fleetsides. And the phantom grills are few & far between. The plans that you have for your truck would make it a real headturner in this area.
Good for you for doing this yourself, & not on M&D's dime. My Dad is/was a mechanic, and would not allow me to drive an unsafe vehicle. Taught me early about preventative maintenence. Any $$$ that I needed for regular maintenence, he'd lend me, but I HAD to pay it back. Kept a record of every $$$ that I ever borrowed from him. Any (what he called) frivolties, came out of my own pocket, and I had better not of owed him anything if I was to buy a set of custom wheels or a new stereo! Only did that once! His way to teach priorities.
I grew up around antique, custom & hot-rodded vehicles. Dad's got a 3000 sq.ft. shop at his house, full of finished antique cars. He could of easily given me, or bought me a vehicle. He absolutely refused to do that. I was one of the last of the crew that I hung around with to get a vehicle of my own. Bought & paid for myself. Really pissed me off at the time, but it wasn't until I had my own vehicle, that it dawned on me what the point that he was making meant. I took better care of that vehicle than most of my buddies did theirs. The ones that their parents had bought for them. Learned the value of a dollar & a hard day's work.

i hear you bro. i take care of my truck alot even though its ugly right now. whenever my mom rides with me, she asks me why i slow down when there pot holes, dips, bumps and i tell her that i take care of the truck because it has cost me the penny. its hard seeing that friends have new trucks cuz of m&d but they dont know the value of money and how to earn it. its cool once in a while to asks for m&ds help, but m&d wont live for all your life so you have to make your own money and support yourself without them.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
m&d are paying for our truck and all the stuff, dont get me wrong, i have enough, i could buy one on my own, but dad wants the ability to take away our stuff if need be, and so that if anything happens he has control, and that he wants us to have respectable vehicles... actually our truck was bought while i was at football practice one day, and my brother was out of town for something with mom, dad went and bought it then when i showed up after practice he had our older brother take me and him down the street to get it, it was pretty nice, and im thankful they did, but dad wants us to trade for a newer truck, do to after looking at our truck it turns out somthing werent done the right way but we have fixed most of them, it by no means the dmax my buddy got or our cousins cummins, but its better than nothing

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Hello from Weslaco! Nice stepside you got there bro. Also going into Junior year and i always turn heads in my stock OBS, mainly because i dont think there are any others at my school.

Oh and as for the "mommy&daddy" thing, i hear ya when you say its better to do it yourself. I have a job here in town and i pay for EVERYTHING when it comes to my truck. Its totally worth it when you buy something, put it on and step back to admire it. No better feeling in the world, IMO.