New ACDelco A/C Compressor - reuse high side switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I found out on my new ACDelco A/C Compressor for my 96 Chevy K1500 that I need to reuse the old compressor high side switch on the new compressor.

1. Is this switch actually needed or is it just for the aux fan on the condenser (which I don't have)?

2. How do I go about removing this switch without breaking the plastic? I've tried wiggling it around and carefully using channel locks to get it out to no avail. The only thing I was able to remove was the snap ring.

3. If I can't find a way to remove the switch, would a brand new Murray switch from O'Reilly's be good or would that fail within a year?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't done one on an HT6 (belly leaker) compressor like your '96 has, but I've done them on the R4 (pancake) compressors from the TBI era. Almost surely yours is retained the same way, with a snap ring. With the system evacuated/empty, simply remove the snap ring and pull the switch out. It may break, it may not. If it comes out in good physical condition, re-use it. Otherwise get a new one. A small amount of refrigerant oil on the O-ring will help install the switch without tearing the O-ring.

Mind you the pressure switches come in different ratings and are identified by the color of the plastic barrel. If you don't want to trust the parts house brand just go ahead and order an AC Delco or Dephi piece.

Edit - LOL sorry was multitasking while responding and I see you did pull the snap ring already. The switches can get stuck in there; it may just break if you keep pulling it. Go ahead and order a new switch for your replacement compressor.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Is this switch actually needed or is it just for the aux fan on the condenser (which I don't have)?
Yes, it tells the PCM to shut off the compressor before it explodes due to super high pressures (something like >430 PSI)

2. How do I go about removing this switch without breaking the plastic? I've tried wiggling it around and carefully using channel locks to get it out to no avail. The only thing I was able to remove was the snap ring.
With the snap ring removed, you can hold your finger, or something else to plug the low side port on the compressor, and take a blow gun to shoot pressure in the high side port. BE CAREFUL, the switch sometimes comes out like a rocket, ha ha.

3. If I can't find a way to remove the switch, would a brand new Murray switch from O'Reilly's be good or would that fail within a year?
I've used Murry switches before with no known failures.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, didn't realize the barrel color dictated the ratings, I will keep that in mind.

Yes, it tells the PCM to shut off the compressor before it explodes due to super high pressures (something like >430 PSI)

With the snap ring removed, you can hold your finger, or something else to plug the low side port on the compressor, and take a blow gun to shoot pressure in the high side port. BE CAREFUL, the switch sometimes comes out like a rocket, ha ha.

That's what the switch cap did when I tried to pry it out of the new compressor, lol, it kinda spooked me. I will try that blow gun method on the old compressor to see if comes out.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Ended up buying a new switch from Carquest, the old switch just didn't want to leave it's spot. The new switch's bottle color is light blue, claims its for a Red bottle colored system. Pamphlet says it shuts off at 430psi, so that sounds about right for this system. Hopefully it lasts awhile.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score

I guess I got lucky then my switch just popped out without a hiss of air. I thought that was the reason you always work on them depressed and evaced ?

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Another A/C question: I noticed with my new compressor, it comes with 2 big o-ring washers and 2 small o-ring washers for where the hoses meets the compressor. Do I need to use all 4 or do I just need 2 of them to seal it?

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Use whichever fits they add the other 2 for different hoses - AKA universal fit.
Ah I see, I wondered about that.

Just checked my hoses and apparently they already had them on (brand new hoses from RockAuto), so I didn't even need to bother with the ones that came with the compressor. :doh2:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O rings It shouldn't be hard. The compressor fits one than one model, the other models have different style hose attachment blocks. Whats a "red bottle system" ? Trivia quiz: whats correct way to install internal snapring?