New 1996 CCLB 3500 454. Help set my expectations on power or is there a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I have to mail the fpr back that I originally ordered but have the chance to get a Delphi FP10021 fpr for 40 bucks. This one says it fits the 454. Is it worth doing or just get my refund and buy the 800-329? I don't know if they are the same in regards to metrics or if one is better quality than the other

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Delphi brand vs GP Sorenson if they are the same specs?

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the new parts in and a transmission cooler that I am going to put on too for towing. Now as soon as I get this cast off my wrist and get some strength back I should be able to tackle everything. My wrist is surprisingly weak though so I may have to guilt a friend into helping me.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Delphi brand vs GP Sorenson if they are the same specs?

Delphi. Delphi will be OEM, and can often be had cheaper than AC Delco, which may or may not be what was originally used on the truck. AC Delco parts are what GM currently offers as a replacement. Since Delphi is no longer part of GM they could be sourcing from another company. On the other hand Delphi closed plants so production could be discontinued on certain parts, or be coming from Mexico or elsewhere. For instance on Amazon, I can see out blower motor from Delphi says that it's made in China, so I passed.

I beleive it's since been discontinued, but a few years ago, I bought a new Delphi radiator for my truck. It matched the original, and was made in New York, where the original was likely made. It was basically a dealer part, that I paid an Amazon price for....... less than what I would have paid at the parts store for a Chinese radiator.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Sorensen on the regulator, I've used them in everything. The current Delphi has gone downhill, I had two of them crap on me in a short time

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got everything done today and it started fine and appears to have no leaks. I'm going for a drive later and will stop by Autozone on the way to test the pressure.

Thanks to all the help and link for replacing injectors and fpr. I completed replacing those as well as cap and rotor in about 5 hours by myself. My wrist is still very stiff and weak from my surgery so some things took me longer than others like trying to hold back the thick harness at the back and lifting the intake manifold was a real treat. I felt so dumb that I'm like straining to lift it. I got really worried when putting the 24lbs injectors in because they don't fit the same and look a lot different but they still fit, just threw me off and I thought they were the wrong ones. I took time because I was so nervous as this was my first time doing work that is not just bolt on parts but I just tried to really be analytical and understand everything that I needed to loosen, undo, take off to do the job. It feels good to learn to do this stuff and I appreciate all the help you guys give.

While I was down for surgery I ordered a trans cooler and installed that last night which only took about 45 minutes

I will post up a video of the fuel pressure after all this in a bit and let you guys know how it's running.

- Bryce -

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After I started it the first time and it ran for a few minutes I shut it off to clean up tools and noticed a puddle about the size of a golf ball that was fuel right under the back of the engine. I haven't seen any leaks at all since then so I'm not sure what caused that little bit.

Autozone didn't have a pressure tester so I will try to go to a different one today or tomorrow. I drove around for quite a while last night and this thing runs awesome! There was a pretty noticeable change in power especially right off of idle.

- Bryce -

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I spoke too soon. While idling for about 5 minutes in a parking lot it kept getting more rough and started to rock a little like old cammed muscle cars. It seems to mostly have problems when it is in Park. It occasionally has hard starts where I am cranking it for many seconds and then sometimes it stumbles to life or it just starts normal after all that cranking. No leaks at all that I can see.

I was trying to catch the really rough idle on video to post here but it has only done it one time. The only other weird thing with the idle is that it occasionally revs up on its own to about 1k and then comes back down.

I'm lost. Any thoughts on what could cause these new symptoms?

- Bryce -