Neutral Safety Switch/Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 K1500 5.7 4L60E NP243

Replaced the trans last month. Install went fine except my shift position indicator light wouldn't "synch up". No matter how I adjusted the shift cable or rotated the Position Sensor, the indicator light would not show all the correct positions and sometimes stay in the wrong position when in a different gear. If I bumped the column shifter the indicator light would sometimes show the correct position. The position sensor had been removed several times in the past, and I figure the plastic ring that indexes on the flats of the shift shaft had been wallowed out enough to cause the problem.

With a new AC Delco position sensor, filing off any burrs or belling of the shift shaft, and with the trans in neutral the, new sensor went on fine.

No matter how much I rotate the sensor or adjust the cable all I can get on the indicator light is N, D, and 1. But P, R, 3, and 2 position won't light. When I take it out of Park the indicator light briefly flashes at the neutral position.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?