Need speaker help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still don't know what your goal was with the selector, but like I said three times now you do not need it. You don't piggy-back or daisy-chain anything between amps except the remote wire, and you should only do that if you are running two amps or less, or alternatively have a relay wired up to take the load off of the head unit's remote circuit.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once again, I'm sorry but if you don't have a basic understanding of running multiple amps and simple electrical rules such as Ohm's law I don't think I can help you much more than I already have. Starting to feel like I'm beating my head against a wall trying to share information here. Sorry man.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe you are misunderstanding me.... i have taken electrical classes I have played with electric systems on several hundred thousand dollar pieces of machinery. I understand ohms law. I have done multiple sound systems and several high end home surround sound systems. I am not all that green to any of this. I asked for different ways in which I could do this which I know I can do multiple ways safely. I understood your suggestions as they were the first thing that came to my mind before I even posted this thread. I did do my research and upon my research these questions arose based on things I found that people did or used when they did their sound systems. I saw this selector and what I read was you can amplify up to 8 speakers at a time OR run different speakers and play around with which ones are on and which are off. I asked if I was reading it correctly as it saying you can use one amp to power that selector which would amplify the speakers. That is how I was understanding what I read. I know for huge audio systems and speakers, you don't run a crap load of amps. Further more, you see these shows on cars how they run several subs and numerous speakers off of like one or 2 amps and it is almost capable of shaking the paint off the car figuratively speaking. I know they don't show everything involved so I was inquisitive on how they were doing it and if it were different than running 3 amps to amplify (and yes I know I don't need to do all 8) speakers being that the actual rms, and watts is relatively low if using a good size amp. Again wasn't sure If I was missing a more efficient way or different way of doing it than what I know to do. And for the record I just installed a very expensive sound system in a very expensive resto mod 69 camaro and there is no issues and it sounds very High quality... so maybe this is a miscommunication or something but when I'm told once let alone 3 times an answer that isn't an answer to my exact question or isn't explained further than a no you cant, I will continue to repeat it until I find out the answer.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you are misunderstanding me.... i have taken electrical classes I have played with electric systems on several hundred thousand dollar pieces of machinery. I understand ohms law. I have done multiple sound systems and several high end home surround sound systems. I am not all that green to any of this. I asked for different ways in which I could do this which I know I can do multiple ways safely. I understood your suggestions as they were the first thing that came to my mind before I even posted this thread.

And for the record I just installed a very expensive sound system in a very expensive resto mod 69 camaro and there is no issues and it sounds very High quality...

I have never done a system this large. Most I have ever done was stock amount of speakers and 2 subs.

OR should I buy who smaller say 400 watt amps and run that amp add on kit and then I could do it that way (I don't know much about the add on kits and how they work)? or should I go with 2 small ones and use one for stocks and one for the 4 in the headliner? If I ran them that way where both were separate amps, could I then act as a bridge and use one wire on one amp and the opposite wire on the second amp to power the subwoofer? or is that a bad idea.....

Ok...

I never said you couldn't use the selector, just that you don't need it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you want to use it for. I apologize if you possess more knowledge on the subject than I assumed, but man it is hard to figure out what you're trying to do here. Yes, you could use it for its intended purpose and turn certain sets of speakers off at will, but why?

I know for huge audio systems and speakers, you don't run a crap load of amps. Further more, you see these shows on cars how they run several subs and numerous speakers off of like one or 2 amps and it is almost capable of shaking the paint off the car figuratively speaking. I know they don't show everything involved so I was inquisitive on how they were doing it and if it were different than running 3 amps to amplify (and yes I know I don't need to do all 8) speakers being that the actual rms, and watts is relatively low if using a good size amp. Again wasn't sure If I was missing a more efficient way or different way of doing it than what I know to do.

This is part of the issue. I have to really strain to figure out what you're trying to say here. Many high end installs I've seen (and done, I'm not green either) DO use a lot of amps. I run three in my standard cab. The reason you see high end, loud installs with minimal amps and equipment visible on TV is probably because they know how to use airspace properly in box design and know how to set crossovers and phase properly. They don't have any secret black magic, they just know how to accomplish a lot with four mid/high channels, subs and a crossover network. Spending lots of money on quality equipment doesn't hurt, either.

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I have one less question for a suggestion.... when using the head units power for the 4 headliner speakers you don't have the option for center speaker hook ups. Which speaker do you suggest goes to which wire? Would somewhat ruin the sound quality similar to listening to only one side of the headphones since one compliments the other or would it act like listening to both headphones by having one ear listen to front and one to rear? Usually this isn't something you would come in contact with so this is my grey area on the topic.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I'd wire it up so that you have one left and one right channel over each passenger's head. I've ridden in lots of newer Caddys and such that have tweeters on either side of the headrests in the seats and it's a pretty nice effect. I'd imagine the headliner speakers would be similar.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a way I could have the flip down unit for dvds and a regular in dash radio installed and both be able to utilize all of the speakers without causing damage or having any issues?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why dont you just get a flip-UP DVD deck in the dash instead? Dear god you are complicating the hell out of this for no reason. Going to try my best to just stay out of this thread.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I run all Kicker KS series in my suburban, with a pioneer head unit, and I love the way it sounds. I am not a bass head (I'm an audiophile), I enjoy nice mids, with appropriate highs and lows; KS fits this bill perfectly. They have great clarity, with no distortion at all at any reasonable sound level; great for classic rock, country, indie rock, soundscape, etc.

At home I have Beyerdynamic T90's, with a Schiit Valhalla2 amp, using a Asus STX soundcar - and I don't feel like I am downgrading when I get in my truck, if that puts it in perspective.