Need some help choosing a practical fuel injection system.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My94K1500

Reaction score
I'm looking into fuel injection systems to get away from the garbage stock throttle body. I've considered the vortec multiport conversation, Atomic EFI, and most recently the old TPI system (which seems to be the most cost effective).

I know the Atomic EFI is roughly $1200 but is supposed to be incredibly simple to install, but I know I can do the TPI conversation from around $900. Not sure what the multiport spider conversation will cost.

So long story short, my truck is my daily driver so it's not going to be hopped up, probably 350hp max because I'm trying to balance good usable power with better than the 11mpg my tired 350 currently gets and make it as easy to maintain as possible.

Any advice on which of these three is best for my application would help greatly. Thanks.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not really the throttle body that's the problem, which can be improved with spring pressure and other "mods", it's the cam, heads, exhaust manifold, "Y" pipe, cat, and muffler. If you don't improve those you'll just choke any improvements you make up top.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you have other problems with that engine or truck to me. You can double the power of a stock TBI engine and still stay TBI based and get mileage approaching 20 mpg highway.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
L31;
Sounds like you have other problems with that engine or truck to me. You can double the power of a stock TBI engine and still stay TBI based and get mileage approaching 20 mpg highway.

You got that right, I'm doing 7.6 sec 0-60 (14mpg) and am not done tuning yet!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I run the fitech system. Had it for 2yrs love it. Turn key and go.

Just wondering, what setup do you have below the fitech (engine/exhaust?) and which fitech are you running? and how are the results thus far?

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering, what setup do you have below the fitech (engine/exhaust?) and which fitech are you running? and how are the results thus far?

I bought the truck with an ATK Vortec 350hp in it. It has an alum dual plane intake, headers, y pipe, and exhaust. I'm running the 600hp non power adder. Can't remember the series name. Model is 30001. Truck had factory tbi on it when I got it. Obviously starving for air. Fuel delivery seemed to be ok until you got in the top end of the rpm band. Took the TBI off and changed over to a HEI DUI distributor with 60k coil. Had a few issues with it when engine was cold or under normal operating temp. But once I figured out the terms Fitech uses and adjusted out it was set it and forget it. Truck sits for a couple weeks at a time. It'll fire right up at first key turn. Throttle response is great. Their support is good. Sometimes you have to wait 45min on hold. They grew too fast and can't get staff hired quickly. The one Summit sells is a rebranded FiTech. After 2yrs product still works great. I did replace the O2 sensor with a Bosch one. Seemed to tighten up the idle and acceleration of the truck. Chevelle.com has a huge wright up on Fitech. Many of us purchased the unit when it first came out. There was a starter page on there and we all helped each other with tuning. There is also a write up on there comparing the FiTech and Holly Sniper. Great write up too.

Reaction score
First define your limitations and expectation. Emissions? Power? Use? Cost? Most of your throttle body injection systems are good but i like holley or fitech. If you go multipoint, TPI is a great way to go, you can run any number of aftermarket multipoint systems, or you can run ramjet with vortec heads. Really your biggest factors are emissions restrictions and money available. But the best place to spend time and money now would be sort of "nesting" for a new motor. Exhaust, fuel system etc.