Need some help agian.. Which subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm about to trade my two 12" kicker comps for my buddy's alpine mrp m1000 amp.

I've been trying to get one, and run a single sub under the backseat. (I have a dual box sitting in the seat right now)

What would be the best Kicker subwoofer to run with that amp? 10" or smaller so it'll fit nice.

Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not super familiar with Alpine amps, do you have specs on the amp? Is it 1000 rms or peak wattage?

Anyways for a Single 10" set up, you'd probably be interested in the CVX or the Solo L7. Iirc both run in the 6-700 watt RMS range in a ten inch flavor, and Kickers subs are notorious for packing a serious punch! The CompVX is a round driver, and the Solo L7 is the Kickers legendary square driver. What's your budget for the woofer?

Kicker is personally my brand of choice for my audio systems! They make an awesome product, and when their subwoofers are installed in a properly built box; they will hit... HARD!!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Alpine MRP1000 specs.

mono subwoofer car amplifier
600 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 50 Hz)
subsonic filter (15 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Class D amp with MOSFET power supply
CEA-2006 compliant
STAR Topology (minimizes internal noise and prevents ground interference)
speaker- and preamp-level inputs
gold-plated screw terminals
fuse rating: 25A x 4
4-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
15"W x 2-7/16"H x 9-9/16"D

A great amp. And as with all alpine amps, the power is nice, clean & linear. But I'm biased. I just happen to like Alpine.
I agree with what Baron said about the Kickers. I've heard them, but never owned any.
I like 10" dual voice coil subs, that are stable down to 2 ohms. Just a bit less 'boomy' than a 12", but they seem to have more 'snap' to 'em. About any good DVC sub rated for that kind of power will sound great with that amp.
Speakers are personal, though. What I like, may not be the one you like. Also the type of music you like, plays a roll in the sub of choice.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A great amp. And as with all alpine amps, the power is nice, clean & linear. But I'm biased. I just happen to like Alpine.
I agree with what Baron said about the Kickers. I've heard them, but never owned any.
I like 10" dual voice coil subs, that are stable down to 2 ohms. Just a bit less 'boomy' than a 12", but they seem to have more 'snap' to 'em. About any good DVC sub rated for that kind of power will sound great with that amp.
Speakers are personal, though. What I like, may not be the one you like. Also the type of music you like, plays a roll in the sub of choice.

I couldn't agree more with your post Al! Music taste had a lot to do with how the sub(s) should be set up. I personally prefer a 10" in a sealed enclosure for a punchier clean sound, as I listen to mostly rock. Speaker preference is also a matter of opinion, comes down to what sounds best to you!

And from the specs you posted on the amp, the Kicker L7 or the CVX should work out perfectly!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks, Baron. And yes, I've found that after many different combos of various amps & subs, a 10" in a sealed box and an amp that's rated at slightly below the sub's power rating is great for cranking the 'Hair Metal'! Wired down to 2 ohms makes the system much more efficient.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the available volume underneath the back seat will be the determining factor with a Kicker sub. From what I've seen they like a lot of space.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the available volume underneath the back seat will be the determining factor with a Kicker sub. From what I've seen they like a lot of space.

That's correct also! Almost all of Kickers 10" subs like .6 - 1.5^3 of air volume for a sealed enclosure. Which is very doable under the rear seat if designed correctly. I built my box to just under 1.0, without removing the jack. Now if the OP wants a ported enclosure, space can become an issue as they generally need quite a bit of space!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Another vote for Kicker...I went around and around lots of sub brands before settling on them 2-3 years ago...great subs. My last 5 have been Kickers, 3 CVR's and 2 CVX's.