Need advice on removing roof skin on a crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I have been looking at how to repair the roof of my crew cab. I thought I could pull the few dents that are in it but upon further inspection I have noticed extensive damage. The previous owner wrecked it and the roof has way too much bondo on the roof as you can see from the pics below.

I have decided the best coarse of action is to replace the roof skin. Is there any tricks to removing the roof skin? I have been doing a lot of searching the web on this subject but nothing specific to the chevy trucks.

I do know the windshield and back glass have to be removed. All spot welds cut out. I plan to get a spot weld cutter. Once all the spot welds are cut then the seem sealer around the edges will need to be cut and pried apart. At this point the roof skin should come off.

Also how do you remove the metal piece that is in the seam at the upper rear corners. I know they just clip in but which direction do I push to remove them? I don't want to damage them as they have been discontinued by GM.

How hard is it to remove the windshield?

Here are 3 different spots on the roof that I have dug through the bondo. There is a lot more on the roof as well. As you can see the repair was not done correctly as there is rust that has formed underneath.

You must be registered for see images attach

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
Where on the roof is the damage? Any possibility of just welding in a patch piece off another roof?

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
it might be cheaper to fix the roof its gonna cost a lot for the whole roof skin. then u gota fix all the welds, seam seal it. Are you going to paint the whole truck

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
the damage is all across the front of the cab above the windshield. Down the driver side is dented and full of bondo. There is a crease in the middle of the roof and a lot of waves around the third break light.

Yes I am going to be painting the whole truck. As is the truck is several different colors since it has been converted from an extended cab to a crew cab. I have a build thread on that part.

I am aware of all the welding and seam sealing. I'm not in a rush to get this done as it's just a project truck. It is cheaper to buy a whole roof from a junk yard than it is to get a new roof skin form a body shop.

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
junk yard is cheaper you will have to pay shipping if you go through the body shop and there is the possibilty it wont line up, but there is a plus when u buy aftermarket parts its already primered so it cuts work down