NBS rear bumper progress picz!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay fellas so I made some progress today haha hardly any really. All I did was remove my OBS rear bumper and put it up next to the NBS bumper to see how much wider the brackets were. As you can see here the more glossy freshly painted bumper is the NBS one and you can physically see how much wider the brackets are...I did some test fitting and I can't get the bumper to sit on there just like it should...It rests on there but it actually sits a bit too low. At this point I'm unsure if tomorrow I want to make spacers and get longer bolts or just take it somewhere and telling them to make it work :hmm: Anyway here's the pics. Please post your thoughts!
You must be registered for see images attach

And YES I know I got to get a new lower pad on the nbs bumper. They're $50 a piece @ CKresto!!!! Wtf! But anyway this bumper IS going on tmrw and I promise pics tmrw. Just keep checking back in and let me know what you think. It's ridiculous how there is NO information on this swap anywhere and EVERY single thread just has a picture of shortntalls truck. Hopefully this will be thread to change all of that.

Griffin

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Whats the difference in the mounting points on the bumper? If they are in about the same place you may be able to make the old brackets work with just drillin holes to mount them on the bumper

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the pics it seems that you could almost just move the obs bumper brackets over to the nbs bumper and it should mount up but thats just from the pics.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dono if its just me but your hitch looks bent!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys ill check the mounting points on the brackets now and hopefully the obs will work. I've read that ppl mainly used the nbs but who knows and yes the hitch is bent hit it backing down a hill when I dropped bumper off for paint :/

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys...I have a few more pics to better show just how off the outter and inner brackets are...The NBS outter brackets are about 3" wider on EACH SIDE...Like I would need 3" metal brackets for both sides, and then the NBS inner brackets are also about 3" wider than the obs inners....I'm also having a problem too when me and my dad took the NBS bumper and set it up on to where it would go I lined up the outter brackets and everything but the top of the outter brackets is resisting me from being able to actually raise the bumper up a little.

What I'm saying is the NBS when I sit it in position where the holes line up, It is still sitting low like a truck with a 3" body lift that never lifted up their bumper and the top of the NBS outter brackets are keeping it from raising any at all...

Another thing is yes I can take the obs brackets off and put it on the NBS bumper, but the inner brackets are still 3" too wide and not bolted on at all. So I can't swap the OBS to NBS inners. I think what I'm going to do is put the OBS brackets on the NBS and then see if it lines up any better...

There are little things about this swap that sucks too. Like the license plate lights on the obs I removed and unclipped it from the little harness back there and removed the wires from the nbs one but the OBS license plate lights aren't long enough to fit on the NBS...The nbs is a good bit wider in alot of ways you just wouldn't think of so I still have to figure something out for that....No wonder noone has a definite NBS on OBS swap guide...

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow this bumper is starting to piss me off. I got the brackets swapped but I'm not touching it till tmrw. Turns out the brackets even are mounted differently from the OBS to the NBS so I was only able to attach them with the bottom bolt on each side. I'm thinking about tightening the 1 bolts down and tmrw taking this thing somewhere and telling them to weld it up and call me when it's done. Before I do all that I'm going to see how it lines up in the morning. Hopefully I'll be able to attach the outter brackets and tell the shop to make something for the inner and weld it up and also weld the outter brackets where they bolt onto the bumper since I was only able to get the 1 bolt on there.....

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats the difference in the mounting points on the bumper? If they are in about the same place you may be able to make the old brackets work with just drillin holes to mount them on the bumper

The problem is where I would need to driill new holes into the bumper to mount the bracket, the hole would go right through the bumper straight through the back of it. I was only able to get 1 of the bottom bolts on each side. I'm thinking the welder guy can go crazy on it.