NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wardi

Reaction score
Thanks to Mike and Rocky for this thread. Those first pics are GREAT!! Definitely got me thinking. I've always wanted to upgrade the brakes on my 2000 Z71 Tahoe. I'm sure no expert, but the rotor and calipers in those first pics sure look like 2007 Tahoe parts to me. I' looked at 2006 and 2007 rotors today at the dealer and I think the 2007 rotors are 13" and 2006 are 12". And I think the brake line connection in between the pistons screams 2007 right??? On the 2006 calipers the line connects right at one of the pistons. 2007 calipers are $250 or so each, and the rotors are $150 each. So roughly for a $1,000 one can get a decent upgrade. I sure hope these really fit on the stock 2000 Z71 Tahoe front knuckles. That sure seems a whole bunch cheaper than some of the aftermarket upgrade kits.

Since I've had the ABS engage a couple times, I'm not worried too much about the peddle travel/sensitivity, but when towing a couple times, I had some serious fade, I think from heat, and so I'm thinking a bigger rotor (up to 13" form 11.5 or so) should help that, as well as significantly improved overall braking. I know I'll need to get at least 18" wheels first!!!

Last edited:

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm slowly gathering parts for this swap- question about the hub bearing flange on the 4x4, what exactly is the difference between the new and old bearing other than the way the mounting bolts thread into the spindle (old), thread into the hub (new). I would prefer reusing the old style hubs as they are new in my truck and tap threads into the new spindle and not have to modify the cv dust shield. I don't have both styles to compare

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was gathering parts I looked at reusing the hubs but it wouldn't have been straightforward, they bolt from the opposite direction. I'd bite the bullet and buy some new hubs to have available in case it looks too hairy to adapt the old ones. If you don't need them you can take them back.

The hub dust shield is a piece of cake, it's very soft brass that you can easily reshape to fit into the new knuckle.

The NBS knuckle doesn't seal tightly like the OBS, it's more like a splash guard.

Good luck!

1998regcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a solid measurement on how much they need to be reamed? I am going to have a machine shop do it, if its cheaper than the tool, and it would be easier to tell them ream it to x diameter rather than getting a CV and a ball joint and try to explain it to them.

Phone Man

Reaction score
Just doing research and collecting part numbers for purchases. My question is about the 13" rotors...

Since I have 17-inch wheels, I bought 13-inch rotors and calipers for a 2006 Z-71 and bolted them on the 2000 knuckles. If you do that, be sure that you get the calipers WITH the mounting brackets and they will fit perfect

I just checked RockAuto.com and there are several caliper brackets which depend on the RPO code. Does anyone know which RPO code was for the 13" brakes.
Thanks

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a solid measurement on how much they need to be reamed? I am going to have a machine shop do it, if its cheaper than the tool, and it would be easier to tell them ream it to x diameter rather than getting a CV and a ball joint and try to explain it to them.
Give them the old knuckle and a print out of the instructions and they can mark their reamer.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just doing research and collecting part numbers for purchases. My question is about the 13" rotors...

Since I have 17-inch wheels, I bought 13-inch rotors and calipers for a 2006 Z-71 and bolted them on the 2000 knuckles. If you do that, be sure that you get the calipers WITH the mounting brackets and they will fit perfect

I just checked RockAuto.com and there are several caliper brackets which depend on the RPO code. Does anyone know which RPO code was for the 13" brakes.
Thanks

The brackets came with the AC Delco calipers for my 2010 application for 14" rotors. You may already be set...

Phone Man

Reaction score
Im not sure... i went with the original post suggesting 13" rotors for 17" rims. Looks like 2006 was a mixed year of 12 and 13 for the fronts. Rock has them all listed by RPO.

Edit: If you want 13" rotors according to what i can find on rockauto, it looks like you have to use a 2006 Silverado 1500 with 5.3L that has front disk/rear drum brakes. There are plenty of rotors to choose from and a cool Power Stop red powder coated set of calipers and brackets (p# S4918).

Last edited:

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What adapter do I need for front hardline to new flexline? By part number preferred.