Nasty Grind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Mine does it every time I shift from 4L. Every autotrac vehicle I have ever driven does it.

rebuilt

Reaction score
Its not normal if ya do it right. Is it push button 4x4 or floor shifted. I have a 95 yukon with floor shift and to shift from 2hi to 4lo the truck needs to be moving SLOWLY!!!! like 5mph or less put tranny in nuetral push the lever from 2hi al the way into 4lo in one motion due not pause at N or the gears will grind. reverse procedure to go back to 2hi. its in the owners manual pages 2-34 and 2-35. It doesn't say anything about the push button trucks though. I was doing the grindem till ya findem thing before I figured this out, I can go from 2hi to 4lo with the only sound being the clunk when it goes in gear. hope this helps

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Its not normal if ya do it right. Is it push button 4x4 or floor shifted. I have a 95 yukon with floor shift and to shift from 2hi to 4lo the truck needs to be moving SLOWLY!!!! like 5mph or less put tranny in nuetral push the lever from 2hi al the way into 4lo in one motion due not pause at N or the gears will grind. reverse procedure to go back to 2hi. its in the owners manual pages 2-34 and 2-35. It doesn't say anything about the push button trucks though. I was doing the grindem till ya findem thing before I figured this out, I can go from 2hi to 4lo with the only sound being the clunk when it goes in gear. hope this helps

With the NP241(floor shift) do directly as you said (its not needed but I always dropped mine down into R to lock in 4x4 before going back to D), with the NP243(pushbutton NOT autotrac) you can push 4HI while in motion (up to 25 mph) 4LO you must do it like the 241's, Stop, place transmission in N, push 4LO button, and for good measure roll slightly backwards in Reverse then drop down to Drive or selected gear.

Edit: my old '91 with NP241 would occasionally grind when going into 4LO but only when I went slowly when switching between 2HI -->4LO just enough for it want to engage N on the transfer case, you must do it in one swift motion