Nasty Evap Core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With a plugged up evap core, the blower motor was working extra hard trying to create airflow. Also, I believe the airflow helps keep the blower motor (and coil resistor pack) cool. As for why it's hot now, probably resistance because of the loose connections.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok well we got a problem. Cleaned the core and it seems cooler for sure and I got a little better airflow. Well worth the trouble. However, when I was plugged the blower back in and was running everything before I finished up I noticed the plug for the blower was hot. I unplugged it and the positive side of the plug is getting hot enough to start melting. Also if i wiggle the plug it will lose contact and shut off. Any ideas as to why it's doing this? Maybe the plug is just bad and I can get another one?

Cut the connector off and put a yellow sleeved crimp on connector on it. That connector goes bad, and starts problems. I'm pretty sure it's why my original blower motor switch went bad, and probanly why the replacement started going.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok well we got a problem. Cleaned the core and it seems cooler for sure and I got a little better airflow. Well worth the trouble. However, when I was plugged the blower back in and was running everything before I finished up I noticed the plug for the blower was hot. I unplugged it and the positive side of the plug is getting hot enough to start melting. Also if i wiggle the plug it will lose contact and shut off. Any ideas as to why it's doing this? Maybe the plug is just bad and I can get another one?

What type of connector? Most aren't too bad to take apart and just replace the pins.

Classic-00-Crew

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a plugged up evap core, the blower motor was working extra hard trying to create airflow. Also, I believe the airflow helps keep the blower motor (and coil resistor pack) cool. As for why it's hot now, probably resistance because of the loose connections.
Makes sense, I'm no electrical guru, only know enough to get me in trouble haha.

Classic-00-Crew

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cut the connector off and put a yellow sleeved crimp on connector on it. That connector goes bad, and starts problems. I'm pretty sure it's why my original blower motor switch went bad, and probanly why the replacement started going.

I'd rather have the actual plug but if it's something that's problematic I'm open to using crimp connectors. Idk if there's enough room width-wise to fit those in the socket tho? Definitely going to look into that.

Classic-00-Crew

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type of connector? Most aren't too bad to take apart and just replace the pins.

It's just a 2 pin connector similar to a weatherpack just without the grommets and seals. The pins themselves appear to be fine. The plug itself melted though letting it lose contact like cviola2005 said.

orphan40

Reaction score
I had to soak mine down with purple power for a few hours then blast it with a waterhose. Works awesome now.