my turn to attempt to convert the 93 to a 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian93ck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well no one seems to answer much on the other forums hopefully you guys have some info. I have read others build threads and got an idea on what I'm in for. I have a 93 chev 1500 2WD 305 with a blown auto tranny, i bought a complete doner truck for 800 bucks, its a 94 gmc 1500 2WD with a 4.3 I'm gonna take the 5 speed out of this and put it in mine, i ordered a clutch kit and a flywheel for my 305, my only concerns are ecm wise, i heard i can run my 305's ecm with this tranny and it wont make a differene but im reading otherwise on here. also does anyone know if the 93's have a clutch bracket in them already, i cant tell by looking at it, until i have picked up this truck, any tips anyone can give me before i start this?

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
A good place for the clutch bracket question is in the T56 install thread, It was converted form an auto tranny to the manual, so that should give you a good idea, just substitute your trans for the t56.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i belive your 93 cab should be set up to bolt most of everything in. i dont see why running your 93 ecm would be a problem either then again im not a big tbi guy either. i think if you look at the tahoe 5 speed swap on this site you might learn a few things about whats involved. i cant for the life of me remember the name of the thread or the user name, but if i find it ill post it in here.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
You might have to get it reflashed for the 5 speed, but otherwise it should be a bolt in deal since you have the parts truck.

Canadian93ck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i read all those thanks i was mainly curious about the ecm and its kind of hard to see how you go about the pedal but yes i'm picking up the truck today so I'm gonna go at it all week end, ill post some pictures up, if i have to get the ecm flashed not the end of the world, i dont even know what tranny will be in this 94, I'm assuming a NV3500? anyways thanks for the help guys, just picked up my clutch kit and flywheel for 325 CDN, not too shabby I'm still thinking after scraping the parts truck ill still be sitting under the price of the 1500 plus tax on another 700r rebuild

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
If the truck had a 4.3 it will have a NV3500. Aluminum case, non-removable bellhousing.

Canadian93ck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
no pics yet going ok so far, not looking forward to putting my dash back together, one question, the sensors or whatever on the clutch assembly are wired to the computer and ignition now if i leave my computer and ignition can i run it with out those sensors hooked up? i assume i can and ill just end up being able to start it in gear/? if not im in for a lot more work

Canadian93ck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
or could i wire it to a sswitch or power source and just cut the wire running to the cruise control?