My third gmt400...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck drives pretty good despite it needs an alignment and the trans fluid is brown(I know, I know).

I pulled it into the garage to chance the cam sensor and noticed two things:
1. The distributor cap was held in place by a zip tie.
2. The cam sensor was actually disconnected.

I didn't think much of the dist. cap at the time, so I plugged the cam sensor back in and noticed the back of the distributor housing had a chunk missing from it. That's why it had a zip tie holding it down.

It being 8pm and no spare distributor parts, I zip tied the cap back on and started the truck. It ran good and I erased the cam code.

Of course it's not done with me and immediately threw a P1345, cam/crank correlation. So I will need a new distributor now and have the timing fine tuned.
You must be registered for see images attach

The little threaded inserts on the distributor are stripped. Maybe they are not actually threaded inserts now that I think about it. That's why yours is zip-tied most likely.

Anyway, very common to strip. My 4.3 Vortec had one of the 2 strip, but I just ran it like that. I believe the metal/Al distributor solves this common issue, or you can get a little repair ear off Amazon.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
The little threaded inserts on the distributor are stripped. Maybe they are not actually threaded inserts now that I think about it. That's why yours is zip-tied most likely.

Anyway, very common to strip. My 4.3 Vortec had one of the 2 strip, but I just ran it like that. I believe the metal/Al distributor solves this common issue, or you can get a little repair ear off Amazon.
Yes I think it's threaded, as the screw had nothing to thread into. I'll probably just replace the distributor. And yes, it does run pretty good, eventhough I noticed a crack in the distributor cap.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think Dorman makes repair dealies that grab onto the housing and allow you to tighten the distributor with the screws after breaking the ears off

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to make a truck thread for each of your trucks, LOL.

IIRC, you were rebuilding the 4.3 engine on your other truck? Call it truck #1. How did that turn out?

I don't remember what truck #2 is...

And now truck #3.

Weren't you at some point going to pull a 10k load? Or did I make that up?

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
You need to make a truck thread for each of your trucks, LOL.

IIRC, you were rebuilding the 4.3 engine on your other truck? Call it truck #1. How did that turn out?

I don't remember what truck #2 is...

And now truck #3.

Weren't you at some point going to pull a 10k load? Or did I make that up?
I guess I need to do a fleet update soon.

I actually have 4 trucks, 3 of them gmt400 and a 1991 S10.

Yes I was rebuilding a 4.3 vortec, I'm done with it now. Just searching for a transmission since I cracked the bellhousing.

To make it easy;
Truck #1: red 91 S10. Truck I learned to drive in.

Truck #2: 97 blue C1500 with 400K on the clock.

Truck #3: 97 green K1500 with the 4.3/NV3500

Truck #4: 97 black K1500, I'm calling "oreo". My latest addition.

Yes I had an idea to tow 10K, but realistically, I probably won't have a need to do that. And some members are right, if I'm going to do that, better off finding a 2500.