My third gmt400...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Earlier today I picked up this. I've been on the hunt for a 88-98 Chevy or GMC that is 4WD and the heat works, since the only truck that I had that the heater worked in was my green K1500...but the engine and trans are out of it so not really helpful right now.

In addition to it being 4WD, I also bought it so I can tow my trailer with it and be able to go some places my C1500 can't. Overall, the truck is pretty nice. 4WD works, it has a brush guard, although it doesn't seem to be mounted to the frame correctly. Did I mention the heater works?

I did, however notice some issues. When I started it, a loud whine came from the engine. Power steering pump was empty. The guy put some fluid in and I drove it.

Then I noticed that the truck vibrates over 40, and it brakes pretty hard to the left. That was about as it that I noticed when I drove it. I paid him and took it home.

This is what I noticed when I drove it home; after the transmission shifts into 4th and let off the throttle, it would "jerk", but not every time. The shifting seemed okay though. I also noticed that at idle, the oil pressure would be between 20-40 PSI, but the engine was running very smoothly, so maybe a faulty gauge?

When I got it home, and started to back it up, the steering got really stiff. I check the fluid and it was full and the trans fluid was nearly brown. It also throwing a P0340, cam sensor, which might be also affecting the trans shifting?

Overall, it's not a bad truck for $1700 and the heater works!! I just really, really dislike push button 4x4...
You must be registered for see images attach

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like you have snagged a good one. With luck only minor maintenance and fixes to have a really solid one. Glad the heater works! I agree that it is a necessity as will be AC later in the year. I will be interested in how you come out with the steering and shifting issues.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think that oil pressure is about right for a vortec 5.7.....Seems to be what I've heard on here. If it's not leaking, doesn't use oil, doesn't make noise and the oil is oil color ( not milky), you may be good there. If oil pressure increases with rpms like it should, probably good for now.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I think that oil pressure is about right for a vortec 5.7.....Seems to be what I've heard on here. If it's not leaking, doesn't use oil, doesn't make noise and the oil is oil color ( not milky), you may be good there. If oil pressure increases with rpms like it should, probably good for now.
I'm not sure. In my blue C1500, with the 5.7, the oil pressure is usually at 60-80PSI. Although I had the engine replaced when I bought it because of a rod knock. I've always used conventional oil with Lucas oil stabilizer and the PSI has never fallen below 60 even at idle. I've heard if the PSI is at or above 40, that the bearing are happy. Below 40 and their not happy...

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Looks like you have snagged a good one. With luck only minor maintenance and fixes to have a really solid one. Glad the heater works! I agree that it is a necessity as will be AC later in the year. I will be interested in how you come out with the steering and shifting issues.
With the steering, I'm not sure if the pump was ran with out fluid, it didn't give me to much trouble till I tried to maneuver the truck at a low speed. I'm going to change the trans fluid and oil soon.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm not sure. In my blue C1500, with the 5.7, the oil pressure is usually at 60-80PSI. Although I had the engine replaced when I bought it because of a rod knock. I've always used conventional oil with Lucas oil stabilizer and the PSI has never fallen below 60 even at idle. I've heard if the PSI is at or above 40, that the bearing are happy. Below 40 and their not happy...
Could be. My truck does similar to my previous post. Not always, but enough to presume it's normal. It doesn't use oil unless it's way due for change, and then not much. No noise except for these really cool mornings, but that shuts up pretty quickly.