My gas mileage doesn't sound right to me. Is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twostrokeking

Reaction score
smaller tires or regear i was getting about 13 in my 94 that had a 350 tbi on 285 with just a fresh tune up i had 373s also

Yeah I can't afford a rear gear or I definitely would. haha

Could try exhaust, tune, cold air intake, light foot on the gas. Not sure how much regear would save you mpg wise but would give you some more power. Not sure what mine gets in town but id like to think its higher than 7

I could believe it with those stock gears and you could have 3.42, stock is not necessarily 3.73. I get about 10 taking it easy, but if I got stupid with it, definitely could see 8. Highest I've been was 12 with ethanol free gas, all highway. Not much you can do drive smart and hopefully you'll find a job soon.

I was thinking about this the other day after cruising around about 150 miles, just can't enjoy it as much with these damn gas prices. We haven't seen under $2.00 a gallon since March 2009!

I agree it is bull . I cant believe how expensive it is for a gallon of liquid.
but you have a vortec.

another thing to consider OP, are you correcting your mileage because your odometer is reading less than how much you are really traveling with your current setup.

Well the digital speed readers that the cops put around town sometimes say my speed is right on with the gauge. Does that mean its all right?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the digital speed readers that the cops put around town sometimes say my speed is right on with the gauge. Does that mean its all right?

No. I don't know the exact right formula for your set up, but when speedometer/odometer reading are off due to tire size etc. The amount (eg. MPH) that they are off, varies at different speeds as it is an overall percentage that it is off. For example, (And ONLY as an example) say that your truck with 35" tires reads that your speedometer is correct when you are going 20 mph, that does not mean that your speedometer will be right at 60 mph. So if your speedometer is say 10% to slow, then when your truck reads that your going 60 mph, you are actually going 66 MPH. There's a formula for figuring what your actual speed is with tire size changes, that I cannot remember at the moment. But I will try and find a link for you to punch in all of your info and it'll tell you how much your speedo is off by!

Last edited:

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 3.73 on my truck I changed from a 3.42 and I really can't see it changed in fact it used less and why I say that is when driving from my house to my dads I would have to fill up or I wouldn't make it and right after I changed them I did the whole trip with just one tank and I had gas left.

Now you being young are you gunning it from the get go that makes ones truck use a lot of gas. Look on ebay or CL for a Magnaflow free flowing Cat my truck also has underdrive pulleys maybe put some on your truck. The most I have ever made is 18.1 and my truck is heavy with the extras it has then my fat butt.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was getting single digit numbers (8-9) for fuel mileage too when i had 3.73 gears and 35's on my 92. Gained a couple more mpg after going to 4.56 gears and 1-2 after a chip, intake and cam. It had got 12-13mpg with heavy 35's.

BIGBLAZER

Reaction score
smaller tires or regear i was getting about 13 in my 94 that had a 350 tbi on 285 with just a fresh tune up i had 373s also

This^.. my blazer with almost that exact set up and with a 5 speed i was seeing bout 8.. now with my 4.56s i average 12 mix of in town and country roads.. on longer trips have seen as high as 18.... and you will definatly love the power difference i rarely have to shift out of overdrive any more and can accelerate up hills in OD where before pulling something as light as a sled or wheeler i was running 4th alot unless on flat ground

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Now you being young are you gunning it from the get go that makes ones truck use a lot of gas .

This right here. It's not the truck it's the 16 year old kid in the front seat!

You'll get a job and get over it. :smile:

Uffeeh

Reaction score
I have 3.73 on my truck I changed from a 3.42 and I really can't see it changed in fact it used less and why I say that is when driving from my house to my dads I would have to fill up or I wouldn't make it and right after I changed them I did the whole trip with just one tank and I had gas left.

Now you being young are you gunning it from the get go that makes ones truck use a lot of gas. Look on ebay or CL for a Magnaflow free flowing Cat my truck also has underdrive pulleys maybe put some on your truck. The most I have ever made is 18.1 and my truck is heavy with the extras it has then my fat butt.

Can i borrow the thread and ask a question.

I have a 1997 GM Sierra K2500. Do i have the 3.73 gears?

Uffeeh

Reaction score
Yeah I can't afford a rear gear or I definitely would. haha

I agree it is bull . I cant believe how expensive it is for a gallon of liquid.

I have to tell you what we pay for gas in Sweden, where I live.

Diesel and Gas (very similar pricing) are at equivalent of $8,48 per US gallon. $2,23 per Litre

So I can only DREAM of having your gasprices :)

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Can i borrow the thread and ask a question.

I have a 1997 GM Sierra K2500. Do i have the 3.73 gears?

it will tell you in your RPO codes located in your glove compartment all you have to do is look up your RPO codes against a website (guys help me here cant remember the site ) and it will tell you your gear codes

I have to tell you what we pay for gas in Sweden, where I live.

Diesel and Gas (very similar pricing) are at equivalent of $8,48 per US gallon. $2,23 per Litre

So I can only DREAM of having your gasprices :)

im sorry but my yukon would get drivin once a month if that were the case

as for the OP with 35s i get about 9 your not alone bud