My gas mileage doesn't sound right to me. Is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twostrokeking

Reaction score
I have a 1995 chevy k1500. It has a 10 bolt rear and the stock gears (3.73?), I re done a lot of stuff in this truck, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, (flipped air lid), synthetic oil, TBI spacer, and a new EGR valvce. The TB was cleaned and the truck runs like a dream. I couldn't ask for more out of this 350. The truck has a 6" lift and 35" BFG mud terrains. The tires are at the right PSI, I replaced the o2 sensor. I am getting 7.8 MPG around town.. I am 16 without a job and this truck is my everything. I am looking for a job but I just cant get anyone to hire me and this gas mileage is killing me. What should it be at? what can I do that will help besides dropping it to stock height? I love this truck! Please let me know! Thanks guys :)

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
smaller tires or regear i was getting about 13 in my 94 that had a 350 tbi on 285 with just a fresh tune up i had 373s also

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could try exhaust, tune, cold air intake, light foot on the gas. Not sure how much regear would save you mpg wise but would give you some more power. Not sure what mine gets in town but id like to think its higher than 7

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could believe it with those stock gears and you could have 3.42, stock is not necessarily 3.73. I get about 10 taking it easy, but if I got stupid with it, definitely could see 8. Highest I've been was 12 with ethanol free gas, all highway. Not much you can do drive smart and hopefully you'll find a job soon.

I was thinking about this the other day after cruising around about 150 miles, just can't enjoy it as much with these damn gas prices. We haven't seen under $2.00 a gallon since March 2009!

Studio54

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a similar set up but 4" on 33s. I used to get around 10, now since i installed eFans im getting 13-15 mix highway/city.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a similar set up but 4" on 33s. I used to get around 10, now since i installed eFans im getting 13-15 mix highway/city.

but you have a vortec.

another thing to consider OP, are you correcting your mileage because your odometer is reading less than how much you are really traveling with your current setup.

Studio54

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
but you have a vortec.

another thing to consider OP, are you correcting your mileage because your odometer is reading less than how much you are really traveling with your current setup.

crap, i keep forgetting TBI/Vortec years.