My first OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William L

Reaction score
Figured I'd start a build thread on my new to me truck. It's a 1997 ECLB 4x4 dually. 454/4L80E. It has 86,000 miles and 5,000 miles on a brand new GM Crate engine. I'm the 3rd owner, the previous owner was a maintenance nut and had a pretty healthy file of maintenance paperwork including paperwork where the dealership installed the new engine. As far as I can tell it's completely stock. So far all I've done is an oil change a fresh serp belt even though the old one looked good, now I have a spare lol. And added power tow mirrors. I want to level it out and add a little more aggressive tires as well. Past that I'm not sure, but I have some ideas.

William L

Reaction score
Thanks it's not perfect but it ain't ugly. This is taking my camper to the glades a few weeks ago. And tonight after finishing the tow mirror install. I don't like the steps either they just haven't made it to the scrap pile yet. Eventually though lol.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
86,000 sure seems like low mileage to need a new engine. What happened to the factory big block? Looks really clean.

William L

Reaction score
86,000 sure seems like low mileage to need a new engine. What happened to the factory big block? Looks really clean.

Thanks! The previous owner told me he took it to a shop to have a ticking exhaust manifold gasket changed and the grease monkey broke the coolant temp sensor in the head. He didn't realize there was a problem till the engine was cooked.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Ouch, I would have been pissed. Are leveling it and tires all you're going to do?