My Featherlite Camper/Toy Hauler/Horse Trailer Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
So over the past 12 years or so I've mainly worked in remodeling/carpentry, but I've also done a ton of work in the camper/trailer business. I've build, remodeled, finished from scratch quite a few campers and I've always wanted to do one for myself. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of every one I've ever done...
Probably one I'm most proud of is a Pop-up camper I did for a friend. Completely gutted it and build just about everything from scratch.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a link to a thread I started on it on ZR2USA.com.

http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=49597&hl=popup

Some of this may be a little mixed up... Trying to paste it from a thread I started on it at another forum!
A few of the ideas I came up with from that I used on my current trailer. I wanted a horse trailer with a living quarters, but at the same time I wanted something I could haul the 4wheelers with and camp in also. I've thought of doing this for quite a while since I worked for a chain of Featherlite dealerships for about 4 years and saw some really cool stuff. I've looked at ones that are already finished out with full living quarters... But nobody really builds them to my picky ass standards - and at this time I really don't care about having holding tanks, bathroom etc. I really just want a nice finished out interior with A/C, a fridge, TV, and lots of storage... And tons of lights to fulfill my LED infatuation.

Last year I drove up past Dallas and picked this up. 2013 Featherlite 8533. 18" 8" long. Special order black, over $5k in options they ordered on it so the dealer could use it in shows. Chrome side panels, graphics (coming off), all LED lights, LED interior lights, 3 horse slant, adjustable saddle rack, foldaway tack room in rear. I got it for about what it would cost without any options. The front tack room was just a shell with the exception of a saddle rack and two side windows.

Next I got a steal on a great Coleman AC unit from Craigslist. I took it apart, cleaned it, then plast-dipped the shell and interior cover black. I also removed all the decals from the side of the trailer.

Then I started ordering parts.... First to come were Fresh water tank, pump, outdoor shower, 3-way refrigerator and converter box.
Mother of God RV refrigerators are expensive. Found several used but not the size I needed.

Then the framing began...

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Lights I bought for the inside nose..

Fake “leather” I bought from Hobby Lobby. From the floor 36” up I put birch paneling, then a cedar chair rail. From there up I covered the walls in this stuff.

For some reason finishing out ceilings in these things always ends up being a real pain… This one was no exception. I don’t like drilling a lot of holes in the roof supports. I ended up taking ¾” lathe and screwing it to the supports, then nailing the paneling over that.

The nose was a pain, also. It was slightly out of square, leaving a lot of my angles uneven. To someone that has severe OCD when doing any woodwork, this caused a ton of work.
Framed up the walls for each side around the windows, then screwed them to the wall skeleton. I also covered these in leather, then used the star push pins to cover and places I screwed them in.

I framed in the nose adding a light and 6x9 speaker on each side. The center is open with an LED puck light in the center shining down.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Picked up this sink at a place near my house…

Started paneling all the cabinets… Built the cabinet doors, and also used laminate tile flooring for the backsplash above the counter. I also used led puck lights for under cabinet lighting.

Built a cabinet and a couple of steps to get up into the bunk.

Cabinet doors were a little time consuming… But I’ve made 100’s of these. For some reason I never get tired of them.

Finished up the bunk area… Need to get better pictures of this.

And finally all the lower cabinets, walls and trim.

Exterior fresh water fill and outdoor shower.

There was a massive waterproof LED strip in the tack room when I got it… Wasn’t sure what to do with it – the rear already has lights. So I mounted it just inside the frame and put it on an inside switch. Kinda looks like crap in this pic… But actually puts out a pretty nice amount of light.

Since these were taken I’ve finished up the ventilation for the refrigerator and had to cut two huge holes in the side of the walls for vents… Finished hooking up all of the gas lines, added blinds to the front windows and a few other things I need to get pictures of.
I also added exterior speakers, a single DIN DVD Headunit in the cabinet that I can plug a tv into. This way I can use the interior/exterior speakers for surround sound if I want and also have everything I need without having to get another DVD player.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately quite a few of the pictures are not coming through for me but from what I can see, you do nice work. That pop up is amazing!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Nice work! I've seen many different ideas & themes in R.V. stuff, 'cause of where I used to live. Several manufacturers & a large 'Snowbird' population, there. Recovered many a cushion, + the drapes & furniture for them.
What you've done is very unique! Like the use of the different material textures, especially the flooring.
That's quite the pop-up! Again, nice work!
But I'll never sew up the canvas for another. I've done several. I have much less hair after each one!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nice looking rig! We had a few similar looking trailers at the RV park I live in around Houston Rodeo time. They all left when the show was canceled though. Don't figure any of them were fitted out like you've done yours. Really nice work, you should be proud of it!

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Never seen this thread before. Fantastic work! Pop up picture won't show for me though.