My exhaust sounds horrible.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a 97 Sierra ECSB.....When I got it, had a drone king terrible sounding Xlerator dual in dual out muffler. So I removed it and had 2 single in / single out Magnaflows installed. This cured the terrible drone..but it still has a sound on hard acceleration that I cannot stand...We all know what glasspacks sound like...well that is the sound it makes if you go over 3500 rpm...it sounds downright cheap and crappy as hell.

The pipes go out to the back of the truck, I wonder if cutting them and dumping in front of the axle will help with this? I may have to anyhow because next week I am going from 2/4 to 4/6 drop...might not clear the underside of the bed so that is no biggie.

Suggestions? I hope this makes sense to some of you....I am very surprised that I am getting the crappy sound out of nice Magnaflow mufflers. Guess maybe its a trait of the Vortec series motors? its a 5.7 btw.

I also have an X-pipe I have thought about installing to see if it helps the situation out?

Thanks !
Dave

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a 44 flowmaster dual in dual out at around 60 degree angle behind the rear tires on mine and love it. Exhaust sound is VERY subjective though

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree...I just hate the "clattery" or clapping sound it makes on WOT or heavy throttle...sounds so cheap. I have never had an exhaust sound so bad with good mufflers lol. Kind of at a loss.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Needs bigger pipe if you are having issues with it "popping". I have true dual 3" straights. No cats or anything dumped over the axle. Minimal drone and the don't pop at all, just a smooth, deep roar.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The 'X' will help smooth out the sound & probably add a bit of low end torque.
Both my trucks (2/4, 4/7) have full exhaust systems. No probs with clearance on either.

RamAirDave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool...good to know. The easiest route now will be to have the X pipe installed. See how that goes. If it does not fix it I will likely just do a whole new system other than re-use the mufflers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf