My documented TBI-to-Vortec 350 conversion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Someone could have always taken your stock block and added a roller cam to it, but I think there's a better chance that someone got a vortec short block from somewhere and threw the TBI heads on it.

Start checking the casting and stamping numbers.

Your block doesn't have a plastic timing cover does it?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I have a set of stock vortec heads I bought from summit racing in 2010 for ~$700 that I'm looking to sell. They are bolted up on my old engine I pulled out of my truck and am replacing with a new crate motor as the old one had something go in the bottom end less than 8000 miles after I replaced the old cracked heads.

They have new rockers/pushrods on them, I can ship them to you with the stock vortec valve covers and exhaust manifolds from my `96 too since my new motor came with everything. Looking for $450 for them plus whatever shipping would cost.

I'm interested! Can you figure out shipping to Weslaco, TX, 78596?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Someone could have always taken your stock block and added a roller cam to it, but I think there's a better chance that someone got a vortec short block from somewhere and threw the TBI heads on it.

Start checking the casting and stamping numbers.

Your block doesn't have a plastic timing cover does it?

To be honest, I don't know. Where are the numbers? And now you guys have me VERY interested in my truck's history. All I know is the engine was "rebuilt" at about 100,000mi. Don't remember why. I'll head over to the shop tonight and pull a lifter and take better pics.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think those dog bones will fit over regular flat tappet lifters. It could be that whoever rebuilt it put the roller cam since the block was setup for it. I think all blocks after 90 are setup for roller cams weather they got them or not....

Edit: Definately a roller setup you have there, the dog bones won't fit a flat tappet lifter at all

Last edited:

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
WIN. This thing continues to surprise me. I'm going to throw a cam in it before she gets the new heads, anyway. What do y'all recommend for vortec heads and daily driving?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your limited on lift with stock vortec heads, I can't remember off hand but it think it's .470.

Look at the HT383 GM crate engine, that's a good cam that works with stock heads...

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I don't think those dog bones will fit over regular flat tappet lifters. It could be that whoever rebuilt it put the roller cam since the block was setup for it. I think all blocks after 90 are setup for roller cams weather they got them or not....

Edit: Definately a roller setup you have there, the dog bones won't fit a flat tappet lifter at all
you could get roller tappet and flat tappet only blocks. i have had both.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Your limited on lift with stock vortec heads, I can't remember off hand but it think it's .470.

Look at the HT383 GM crate engine, that's a good cam that works with stock heads...
i run .489 lift with comp springs, i think im pushing the limits though.