My 1997 Teal K1500 Build/Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got my dome light circuit board soldered up. Gotta install it. Gonna go outside and do that real soon cause its plug-n-play.
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
[/URL]
"]
[/URL]
Excuse the poor camera quality... I have a poor quality camera.

Took me longer that it should have because two out of the twelve were teal/BLUE and not teal/green. Didn't know until I plugged it all in to the jumper box. Good thing I ordered two more LEDs than I needed. What a 'tinker I am.

Update: Installed em. Now I gotta get rid of the old lights I had up there... I'll probably just give em to a friend for free since they are so n*gger-rigged.
I need a clear dome light lens so bad... the stock one "whitens" the light and spreads it thin. Heard LMC truck sells clear lenses for the dome light.

Also got the paint off my gauge needles. They are a lil bit foggy. Not sure what will clear that up but for now they are clear enough for me. :)

Update 1:30am: Almost done hot-snotting the high-flux LEDs in my spare door switches. Hopefully one day this week I can wire them in to the illumination wire and swap em out with the stock switches.

I eventually wanna put a dimmer (for LEDs) on the illumination wire. So pretty much splice into it right behind the headlamp switch and hide the dimmer somewhere so I can access it easily but its not out in the open.

Last edited:

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Got my dome light circuit board soldered up. Gotta install it. Gonna go outside and do that real soon cause its plug-n-play.
"]
[/URL]
"]
[/URL]

Looking good!!! I've been wanting to do the Interior LED's for quite some time now.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some codes from Orielly's. Ugh. I don't wanna put any more money into making sure this thing runs right. I wanna spend my money on cool stuff! Here are the codes:

P0305- Cylinder 5 misfire detected. No idea what to do with that. Does it mean it continues to happen or does it mean its only happened once? No idea. Help me out.

P0141- Heated O2 Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction. Think he said this one popped up twice. No idea what it means.

P1406- EGR Valve Pintle Position Circiut Malfunction. Somewhat familiar with my EGR valve, but I think this is saying somethings wrong electronically.

Appreciate advice and possible solutions. Thanks!

Looking good!!! I've been wanting to do the Interior LED's for quite some time now.

Thanks! I was gonna install the door switches tonight but its raining out and thats more of a "door wide open" project. Plus, I should probably look into solving some of the above problems.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clear the codes and see if they come back.

Pertaining to whether or not this is continuous or only happened once? I guess that's a start. Back to Orielly's tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they'll clear the codes for me. Can't go Friday, getting my wisdom teeth pulled and rumor has it, its pretty hard to drive after one of them procedures.

Perhaps I should mention that my SES light came on while the truck was idling in the driveway warming up a few days ago, and I wasn't there to witness anything that might have triggered the SES light. So this could have all been a little fluke accident and may never occur again. But I'm not so sure, seeing as the culprits behind misfires can be plugs/wires/cap/rotor, all of which I replaced with a friend a couple weeks ago. All of which I bought the cheap/store-brand versions of except the plugs. Hell, I probably should have just reused the AC Delco wires that were on there already, they seemed a lot heavier duty than the newer "Master Pro" or whatever ones. Kept all the old parts just incase, even though the only useful things are probably the wires and maybe a plug or two.

Popped the hood and looked around for a few minutes. EGR valve is snug to the gasket. All the wires seem alright and I don't see anything unusual about the plugs. Couldn't get a great look at the plug on cylinder 5, but as mentioned, the wire seems fine.

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gonna get codes cleared tomorrow at Orielly's. See what happens from there. Hoping it was just a lil fluke that won't happen again...often.

Took door switch panels off and cleaned em. Swapped the switches and soldered them up to plug right back into the truck like nothing changed. Cept the metal used in the circuits have to be galvanized or something... wouldn't take solder very well AT ALL. But, I got her done.

Tried retro-fitting the power mirror switch but it was too much of a hassle to do with the high-flux LEDs. Screw it. I never liked the look of those lit up anyways. Pulled the bulbs outta them.

Installing them in the morning, hopefully the rain lets up for 20 minutes before school. I wanna see these badass things at work.

Update: Installed. Cracked the passenger side tweeter bracket, but super-glued it back together. The lights look great, they turn on when I turn my headlamps on. However, when I turn the dimmer all the way down, so as to keep parking/headlamps on but turn interior lighting off, the door switches still light up. Not sure why.

Update of Update: Found an in-depth wiring diagram for window/lock switch illumination and to my surprise, they aren't truly wired to the dimmer. They are wired straight through so when the park/head lamps are turned on, they come on and stay on. I guess the damn things were so dim with the stock illumination that I never noticed if they dimmed with the rheostat or not. Kinda ass-backwards design if ya ask me, but its whatever. I'll have the problem solved by bear season, which is the only reason I want them to be able to "black-out" with the headlights still on. Don't want a green glow in my face, plus sometimes its just fun to drive with all the interior lights off at night. What I have written below should take care of that problem.

Thinking when I wire that dimmer switch (a pot, if you will) into the positive wire for interior illumination, turning that OFF or all the way down, will shut the door switches off. Still puzzled why they don't shut off. Did they ever when the OE dimmer was turned off? I guess I never really noticed them lit up in the first place cause they were so dim to start with.

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My science teacher overheard me talking to a friend about stopping at Orielly's during lunch to clear my codes and the teacher asked what codes they were. I figured he was just making conversation, which he has been known to do.

Now, mind you, this teacher is pure nerd. Tall, skinny, and he teaches astrology and earth science. He is part of a national Science Education board and a national Planetarium board (we have a planetarium in our school). He loves Star Trek and Star Wars and makes references to both every chance he can.

I told him the three codes that came up and he said that a bunch of things having problems all at once is normally a tell-tale sign of something much bigger. He went on a ramble, although ramble would imply nonsense and BS, however everything he said was legit. He went on about how the EGR valve is building up carbon and clogging and how that in turn can send carbon to the cats which would explain the O2 sensor problem. He told me he had a 90's Cadillac with a V8 that he experienced the same problem. He replaced the O2 sensor(s), did a tune up, cleaned and then eventually replaced the EGR valve (vacuum style) and that worked for a while until his cats got clogged. It turned out that his head gaskets were the culprit, so he replaced those and that cleaned up EVERYTHING.

Turns out his dad was a mechanic and he overhauled his first engine when he was 16. I mean, he knew SO MUCH. From a guy who literally never talks about vehicles as means of socializing and never would come across as someone who opens up the hood of his car. I almost bet he knows more about engines than the tool who teaches Trans in the school shoppe (trans is basic one-cylinder engine repair class. We don't have a legit auto shoppe at our school, but the new one on the east side does.)

Not only did he receive a MAJOR respect boost, but I now know who to go to for legit advice on the spot. Granted, I'm still gonna wait to see if this problem occurs again, but at least I have a hell of a lot better idea of what may be going on.

Kinda wish I had a smart phone just for the sake of being able to check and clear codes whenever and wherever I am. Beats carrying a $50 code reader somewhere in the truck.

Which reminds me... probably should take out the marine band radio I have snuck in the rear "door" panel. That thing is either broke or could use a really good cleaning.

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Badass!!! ^

I know right? Not sure which part we are labeling as badass, but I'll consider just about all of which I said up there to be badass. Never judge a book by its cover. jk lol, I still judge people.

Helped a friend wire up "semi" lights on his truck and tried to help get his torsion bars working right. He has a '400 like us and he got a 6" suspension lift for free (and you don't just let it sit if you get it for free). As far as I know, they still ain't done f*cking around with them bars. But he wants it done before prom, which is this saturday.

Taking a break from my truck. My buddies saw the door switch lights and other teal/green things I've done and now want me to help them do pretty much the same stuff to their trucks. So those'll be my next "projects" until I figure something out to do with my truck. Maybe slowly put together that teal/green 4x4 switch...

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
I know right? Not sure which part we are labeling as badass, but I'll consider just about all of which I said up there to be badass. Never judge a book by its cover. jk lol, I still judge people.

Helped a friend wire up "semi" lights on his truck and tried to help get his torsion bars working right. He has a '400 like us and he got a 6" suspension lift for free (and you don't just let it sit if you get it for free). As far as I know, they still ain't done f*cking around with them bars. But he wants it done before prom, which is this saturday.

Taking a break from my truck. My buddies saw the door switch lights and other teal/green things I've done and now want me to help them do pretty much the same stuff to their trucks. So those'll be my next "projects" until I figure something out to do with my truck. Maybe slowly put together that teal/green 4x4 switch...

Come down and do LED's in mine? lol. I'd go with white, No fancy colors for me haha :D