Motor Ideas for 98 votrec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need some help in to what would be best motor for my truck. First off I got a 98 ext cab z71 with 226,000 miles so shes getting a bit tired but still runs great. So I figured I should get started on a fresh power plant. I looked at a Ls swap but Im not looking to do a bunch of wiring ect so I desided to do something with my 5.7. So my question is what? Thoughts are 383 I want something pretty mild Id say something that wouldnt require a ton off extras to make it run right. So please give me a hand or a place to start like a motor kit ect. Also would be putting in a mildly built 4l60e at the sametime.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That seems perfect but a little pricey is there a motor kit verson of that so I can just bore my block and build one? Cant help but think I could build one cheaper am I wrong?

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like manly is there a motor kit I can buy from summit or wherever to build a 383 for my truck. Or will I have to peice one togeater? Dont know if a standard 383 kit for a sbc will work.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
k so I can just order a 383 kit for a 350 and take my block and have it bored and whatever else the machine shop has to do. I know I should have my heads checked out but what else is a good idea. Sry for all the questions but Im a auto body man dont know much on motors yet. lol

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when I was going to 383 my old 5.7 I was going to have a valve job done on the heads and have em decked. The block was going to be punched .050 over instead of the .030 needed and I was going to clearance the bottom of the cyl for the new crank