Mini Bert! An s10... Maybe a ZR2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After more driving, the last mod to the ecm didn't quite accomplish what I was hoping for. Blackbear then told me that they can't make it do exactly what I had asked. Would have been nice to know that up front, but oh well.

I have been using an old headlight dimmer switch as a tcc lock up switch for a while now. It has been working well, and you operate it with your foot, which is less of a pia.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have been using this truck a ton. It is my daily driver. It also hauls a dirt bike, atv, and mountain bike to areas where I practice. Each practice area is 75-140 miles away. The truck has been getting 20+ mpg while using the tcc lock switch and driving decent. If I hammer on it, the mpg drops to just better than 18 mpg.

It has 236,000+ miles on it and will still break the tires loose when it shifts to 2nd. And, it also sees occasional offroad use. The deer flies hate it as we crawl through the rocks, windows up, AC blasting.

Good times. :)

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've added a small green indicator light to tell me when the tcc is unlocked. Part of the reason for using the old style dimmer switch (for tcc lock) was because I could use it to also trigger a light when tcc wasn't locked. This is what it looks like.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After thinking about what I want from this truck, it has taken a pretty big turn. I removed the front dif, modified the cv axles to hold the wheel bearings in place, removed the front driveshaft, removed one spring from the rear leaf springs, decranked the front torsion bars, removed the 31" tires and had new highway tread 235/75-15's Hankook tires installed on the factory wheels.

The reasons that lead to this were:

1. I really wanted a car as a dd, but one that could haul a dirtbike or atv.

2. The front dif wasn't engaging correctly, even with the posi-lok. I suspect it was damaged from years of the vacuum actuator almost engaging it.

3. The toyo a/t's were noisy, bouncy tires. They were very tough, but that is the only + I will say about them.

4. The 4x4 front components on this just seemed cheesy when compared to k2500.

5. This truck isn't worth anything, so might as well make it into what I want.

Here it is today.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been driving it this way for the past couple of months and it is a much nicer driver. It has a totally different feel than the other s10's that I have driven - am guessing that the wider frame and slightly beefier suspension help. You can now drive this truck like a complete *** hole in traffic, and fit right in.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The transfer case is still in place, but when either the 4.3 or 4l60e die, I am hoping to remove it and replace all with a 5.7/4l80e (2wd).

Maybe do a little autocross...