Mean Green's 1990 Silverado Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I thought I'd let you guys see a GMT400 build I did last fall, this one was a simple flip. And this was not done like we do for show car or custom builds, so keep that in mind. The truck was a 1990 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 ECSB 4X4 with a 350 and 700R4. Took about a month start to finish, working on it as a shop filler in the freetime. Anyways on with the pictures!

This is what this gem looked like when I picked it up, drove it home over a 100 miles and floated down the road :) Yeah, chicks where just staring at this beast :rofl:

You must be registered for see images attach

After being stripped down, and DA'ed:

As you can see, she had some issues. It was a lot rougher then it looked once you started stripping it. Ended up replacing 3 wheel arches, as well as both rockers and cab corners and a door. It had been repainted at one time, and I gotta say that whoever laid the mud down did a pretty good job. Not the typical mud you see that looked like it was spread with fork :rofl:

Pictures:

Rear wheel arch, had a little bit of rust :nono:

Rough cut out of box side for wheel arch patch:

Laying patch in place for final mark and trim:

Trimmed and shaped:

Lip crimped, so the patch will sit flush and have a backing to plug weld:

Patch panel trimmed and shaped and in place:

Tacked in:

Plugged, welded and flushed ( it was tack welded solid, but I cant find the pictures of that) :

And the finished Box side, after the mud work and blocking:

Now for the Rocker and Cab corners; as you can see they where a tad bit rusty :rofl: And the drivers side rocker was caved in, looked like it may have been hit at one time or slid into a log or something. No damage other then the rocker itself.

Rocker before:

Removed:

New rocker in place:

Stitching:

And now we fast forward to past a bunch of little mundane stuff. Because I got lazy and quit taking pictures :lol:

Completely underlined the underbody and frame:

Box:

After color had been laid down, ready for the paint to be color sanded and buffed:

And some finished pictures after final prime, sealed, painted, cut and buffed:

----------------------------------------------------------

Mechanically this truck was in great shape, I never touched the engine. Mechanically the only thing that I replaced was: The power steering pressure hose, rear U-Joint, fluids changed and the muffler/tailpipe was replaced with a thrush. The engine and transmission were bulletproof. I also replaced the door lock cylinders, as the key no longer matched being I installed a new door. Also polished and buffed the headlights/parking lights/ tail lights/ etc. And painted the bowtie black, debadged and de-molded and did a bunch of other small things that pull a build together.

The interior was in fairly good condition for it's age and mileage, the only issues where most notably the sagging headliner and tear in the bench seat. Again, this was not a custom or show build, so the seat was left as is. The Carpet was in good shape, and all the glass was good. But the interior was completely steamed, shampooed, and detailed obviously.

All in all the truck turned out nice for what it was. And it was a good dependable truck, that looked and drove very nice. It was a fun build, as it was a GMT400 which I love.

So there it is, a short and sweet back to stock build! Sold the truck about a week after it was finished, and the buyer couldn't of been happier with it. It's damn near impossible to find a 20+ year old truck in Minnesota without ANY rust, so it was a pretty desirable truck when it was done.

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
i remember seeing that on Cl and i knew it was yours because it said Call Baron

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, that was mine! It didn't sit very long after it was finished, I believe it sold about a week or so after I listed it.

Dang, you sure did some good work on that truck! Not that it's any of my business, but how much did you make off of this build?

Also great to see someone else from Minnesota!

-Nick

BubbaSmthr

Reaction score
Awesome turn around. Makes me wish I knew how to do bodywork.