Max HP limit of factory 350 Vortec shortblock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I've been looking the last few days but can't seem to find any true numbers. Every thread or article I find goes right back to the crappy spider injection limits which everyone already knows.... so please no spider injection bs in this thread please just short block specs, numbers, and info. Thanks

RR

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I read an article the other day from a magazine, I believe it was Hot Rod or Car Craft, that had the original small block, and a few after market blocks, that told all of the factory ratings and what not. I'll see if I can find it again.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I read an article the other day from a magazine, I believe it was Hot Rod or Car Craft, that had the original small block, and a few after market blocks, that told all of the factory ratings and what not. I'll see if I can find it again.

Alright, thanks bro.... just wanting to know how much the factor y setup will take before it grenades

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends what your application is. You can get splayed main caps from numerous online sellers for your 2 bolt. Which converts it to a 4 bolt main cap and is way stronger than the factory 4 bolts. I have seen 400hp on some 2 bolts.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Depends what your application is. You can get splayed main caps from numerous online sellers for your 2 bolt. Which converts it to a 4 bolt main cap and is way stronger than the factory 4 bolts. I have seen 400hp on some 2 bolts.

Yea I know I can get billet main caps and get it splayed or get it lined honed and stud the 2 bolt but I am not doing all that to this motor.... I just wanna know how much the stock 2 bolt main can handle, without any extra beef up mods to the block or internals.... if u went and bought a brand new factory vortec shortblock, how much hp will it handle before it pops... I already know all the aftermarket and factory options available to make a killer short block but I wanna know what mine and the rest of the factory 350s will take, as is... simple question.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
the block wont be your weakpoint the internals will be more or less.

Yes I know, when I say factory block I mean factory shortblock... sorry for not being more specific.

Guess I'll try this again..... How much is the factory 2 bolt main shortblock, with the powdered factory rods, cast factory pistons, and stock crankshaft rated for?... roughly the maximum hp limit before it breakes the crankshaft, crackes a piston, throws a rod, breaks a ring, etc... that's as simple as I can make it.
Anyone?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I searched for about an hour last night an couldn't find the exact article. I'm positive it was on Car Craft though.

I know for the stock 72 small block the factory maximum HP rating for the block was only around 380HP. But newer blocks are a bit different, and as you know, people have been able to go way over that on a stock block with different main caps, keeping the bore small, etc. The main limiting factor to a factory small block is how far you can actually bore it before it has problems.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
im seeing 450ish limit from the majority of my searches. as long as your not revving it over 6k or so for a long time then your rods and everything should all be intact. dont wquote me on that but thats from a majority of my readings.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yes I know, when I say factory block I mean factory shortblock... sorry for not being more specific.

Guess I'll try this again..... How much is the factory 2 bolt main shortblock, with the powdered factory rods, cast factory pistons, and stock crankshaft rated for?... roughly the maximum hp limit before it breakes the crankshaft, crackes a piston, throws a rod, breaks a ring, etc... that's as simple as I can make it.
Anyone?

Ohhh, that makes it different now. I thought you were talking about the block specifically.