Mass airflow sensor upgrade on 5.7l vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any advice on upgrading the stock factory MAF sensor on a 97 Chevy 5.7l 315hp performance engine?
Which of these three is the best one,
Jet powr flo 69100 $302+.

Granatelli Motor Sports® - Black Mass Air Flow Sensor with Cold Air Tuning 350113-C $420.85.

Edelbrock 95mm black plastic racing performance only maf sensor Kit 15401 $196+.

What are some opinions Of these 3 MAF SENSORS? Which is the best option to go with?
Also is there any other MAF sensor off a newer LS motor or any other GM ENGINE that would work with the obvious have to change wiring plugs that would offer more airflow than the stock maf sensor. I don't know is why I am asking y'all.

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of those are going to be an improvement over stock, and they're all going to confuse anyone trying to tune the PCM.
Thanks for the input. What about porting and polish the factory MAF,does that have any benefit?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. What about porting and polish the factory MAF,does that have any benefit?

From what I understand the factory MAF is not a restriction on anything even remotely close to a stock application. I've read that the screen is there to make sure the air is evenly distributed across the sensor, and it doesn't impact flow significantly. I don't think messing with the MAF is going to do you any good.

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the factory MAF is not a restriction on anything even remotely close to a stock application. I've read that the screen is there to make sure the air is evenly distributed across the sensor, and it doesn't impact flow significantly. I don't think messing with the MAF is going to do you any good.
Thanks again for your insight. truthfully what all you have told me is about what I've been able to come with talking to a few mechanics and reading online. About the only way to really bring these 5.7's to life is doing a pcm swap and fuel rail intake system, for a starting point,based on my research. So the best thing is leave the MAF sensor alone. Thanks again for your help.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again for your insight. truthfully what all you have told me is about what I've been able to come with talking to a few mechanics and reading online. About the only way to really bring these 5.7's to life is doing a pcm swap and fuel rail intake system, for a starting point,based on my research. So the best thing is leave the MAF sensor alone. Thanks again for your help.
You are not even close to taxing the fuel system or stock intake manifold. A Volant cold air intake kit would make a noticeable difference as would headers and getting rid of those tiny 1-7/8" pipes. I personally do not see a "315 hp" version of the L31 as much of an upgrade. The stock L31 already makes over 300 hp on an engine dyno.