Manual Transmission swap help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I`ve read many threads and researched lots on regards to the manual swap. I have a 98 Sierra 1500 ECSB 14B SF that has a 4L60E I am switching out. I also own an 88 silverado RCLB 10B with an SM465 4 speed.

Couple questions; Can I run the truck without the computer being flashed? (I`m not sure why it has to be, or if you need too). I thought VATs might cause an issue as well. I am going to bypass my VATS so that shouldnt be a problem? If I need it flashed or whatever, can I find a computer from a manual truck to swap in? I was thinking about doing 411 PCM swap in future if that helps, but a while after I get a manual trans in.

Can I put in the SM465 in for a bit and then swap in an NV4500 when I find one? I have 3 different drive shafts if that matters (3/4 ton auto ECSB 4l60e 14B, 1/2 ton ECSB 4l60e 10B, 1/2 ton RCLB sm465 10B)

Whats the best way to go around this.

Will T-case from SM465 fit NV4500?

Will I have to do anything with wiring harness? the 88 does not have cruise, but my 98 does.

What issues might occur?

Whats a good replacement clutch?

Anything else I should be aware of?

I am very mechanically inclined, and I am aware of what a swap like this can cause. I have another vehicle to drive in case anything goes wrong. I have a lot of mechanical experience, and good especially with wiring. But there are some things I have trouble with. I would rather make 100% sure before I start the job than going halfway and finding 1 little piece missing.

Any help will be very appreciated!

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes you can run if the computer thinks the trucks in park buuuuut

http://www.lt1swap.com/programming.htm

yes u can swap the 4500 in after the 465

look at the splines on the two trannys for t case options there are a lot of different options out there
you can leave the cruise alone untouched but it wont function obviously

need to run NSS to clutch pedal
reverse lights
most if the harness can be removed

the clutch depends on your price range and if you wanna put a kick ass clutch in id hold off until you get your hands on the nv4500 if you ever do it

i plan on doing the sm465 or 420 here real soon.

im going to run with my auto ecu in "park"

good luck to ya

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilCVY