Manual transmission no drain plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Msabken

Reaction score
I have a 95 k1500 with 5speed. I assume it is an NV3500. I do know my mechanic had 1 hell of a time with the clutch not engaging. I don’t know if that’s important. Anyways I wanted to change the tranny fluid but I am not finding a drain plug. The plug I am assuming is the fill plug is not the 17mm hex that I am seeing as well. So all I am seeing to possibly drain this trans is 2 plates, 1 on each side with 6-8 bolts. Is there a possibility that Chevy used any different transmissions for the manual 5sp? If not is this common? My uncle bought this truck brand new. I don’t think he ever had it changed out.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1 second on the Google machine got me this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Msabken

Reaction score
Not at all what mine looks like

Attachments

• 1E5D1B16-4ED2-4AB8-9BCE-5140DA2C6A89.jpeg
    1E5D1B16-4ED2-4AB8-9BCE-5140DA2C6A89.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 4

Msabken

Reaction score
Just now seeing that there is some kind of label. Tomorrow I will clean it up and see what it says

Msabken

Reaction score
I would just risk it and pull the plates off but I would like to be able to order whatever gasket I would need to replace that

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
That plate is the PTO cover (power take off). The bottom bolt on the cover should drain the trans.

The cover gasket is a standard 6 bolt PTO access mount. Used on many different transmissions for many years.

Msabken

Reaction score
Do you think I still have the NV3500? Should I still refill with synchromesh?
This is not at all what I have seen while researching. There are no 17mm drain/fill plugs

Msabken

Reaction score
Turbo4whl. Thanks for the input. It does look like I have the NV4500. I did not think this tranny had been changed out but it is definatly an NV4500 which I am glad it is

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
You sir have an NV4500. use only the recommended fluids NOT SYNCHROMESH! The wrong gear lube will murder your synchros in short order. I have been waiting on my rebuild kit for mine for a year!

The original fluid Was Castrol Syntorq which is long gone. GM has a safe gear lube as Dodge. You can get it at the dealers.
My AC Delco fluid has been on back order for almost a year. Do not use GL5 gear lube as is etches yellow metals (brass) synchros. The synchros have carbon fiber linings which is why you need to only use the right goop.

Redline says their MT85 is safe as well. Some sources recommend overfilling the 4 quarts. There are coolers and filters available that can add capacity and drop temperatures that take the place of your PTO cover plates.

O.K. rant over.

The drain plug is the bottom bolt of the PTO plate. Standard fluid capacity is 4 quarts.

Welcome to gmt400.com !