LS Swapping my '95 Silverado (5.3 LM7)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dorido217

Reaction score
I know there's a couple of threads on here detailing swaps, but I'll make one too. :)

After a load of consideration I've decided against rebuilding my 350 TBI and I'm going to drop in a 5.3 LM7 instead.

I swapped an LQ9 into my '80 Camaro last year so it seems only sensible to take this route with the truck too.

I intend to keep this a fairly stock swap. I'm not really intending to do any tuning on the motor other than a decent cold air intake set up. This is my daily driven truck and also used for hauling my Camaro on a trailer so I don't want to compromise reliability or low RPM torque. Hopefully it will also boost performance and economy over my rather tired 350 TBI.

I'll be converting to cable throttle to keep things as simple as possible and be looking at getting a reprogrammed ECM/PCM with all the emissions stuff removed along with other changes to make it work well in my truck.

I'll also be rebuilding the transmission with a 4wd output shaft so I can bolt up my transfer case and keep the 4wd functioning.

Does anyone know if the VSS in the transfer case is 40 pulses per rev? If so it looks like I'll just need to add a low range switch to my floor shifter.

Here's the motor and transmission, from a 2002/2003 Tahoe. There's no ECM/PCM and the throttle is DBW.

Is the stock TBI fuel pump actually a high pressure pump regulated down? If so can I retain the standard in tank pump. Otherwise I'll plan to swap it for a Walbro.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

When I start stripping the truck down I want to get it done as quickly as possible so I'm trying to get everything planned out first.

The parts list I have so far is:
  • Engine mount adapter plates
  • Electric fan conversion
  • Exhaust mods
  • Cooling system hoses
  • Fuel hoses
  • Wiring mods
What issues might I run into?
Did you have any luck on finding a programmed ECM/PCM to help with this swap?