LQ4/LQ9 Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
So I am a little confused on the wiring harness. So when you swap the lq4 in you can use your existing harness? Or you can use the supplied lq4 harness.

Im ready to start looking into the process to perform this swap any helpful links?

CrewCab Steve

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
So I am a little confused on the wiring harness. So when you swap the lq4 in you can use your existing harness? Or you can use the supplied lq4 harness.

Im ready to start looking into the process to perform this swap any helpful links?

CrewCab Steve

I believe you can move a bunch of wires around, "re-pin" as I've heard it called? - But I imagine its pretty tedious.. especially when you finish it up and truck no go :lol:
But you can also have a wiring harness made to suit your needs and it'll be all plug and play.. I think. Lol.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
I've already done the 411 swap so repinning and such doesn't scare me much. But it would seem to me that one would have to solder in an injection harness at the minimum to make the L31 harness work. Anyways when I learn more I'll be posting it here so that there is more info.

CrewCab Steve

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already done the 411 swap so repinning and such doesn't scare me much. But it would seem to me that one would have to solder in an injection harness at the minimum to make the L31 harness work. Anyways when I learn more I'll be posting it here so that there is more info.

CrewCab Steve

From what I've read you will have to repin a few wires (even if you have a 411 already on the l31). Extend a few, shorten a few, cut the poppet injector plug off an run wires to the injectors from there, an add the coil wiring.

Lextech knows what all needs to be done I believe...

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Ok. Well I'm fixin to pester him about it here real soon lol.
That Doesn't sound all that bad. Plus I may get the lq4 harness with the engine so I'll have extra wiring.

CrewCab Steve

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im actually thinking of swapping in a built LQ9 and take my 6.5 out lol. Just need to find a harness.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To me I think this is the worst idea ever, in my opinion one of the best things about a 400 is the low revving cheap to repair engine. If you want a LS series motor go buy a NBS truck., And 20mpg is a fantasy how many NBS owners with a 6.0 do you know that brag about their mpgs. And before anybody asks I have done this to a '97 RCSB so I am speaking from experience not out of my ass.