LQ4/LQ9 Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I think doing the LQ4/LQ9 swap is better than a built 350 that is carbbed. I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum and ls1tech and other sites. I still have a couple questions though. I will be putting this into my 1998 chevy ECSB.

Engine Questions:
1. Which engine is better LQ4 or LQ9 for a fast street car that will be towing stuff sometimes?
2. Is there a certain year engine I should be looking for?
3. How much hp/torque am I looking at if I put a set of headers and a cam in it?
4. What MPG am I looking at with this motor?
5. What brand headers should I use?
6. I have read about stand a lone wiring harnesses, what is the benefit of using them?
7. Is there anybody in Florida that can tune my motor like MJE does?
8. People say they swap to a TBSS 6.0 intake, what is the benefit of this?

Transmission Questions:
9. Will a 4l60E handle 450 hp from the motor?
10. Or will a 4l80E be the way to go?

Other Questions:
11. People say you have to change the fuel pump out to a vortec style pump from a later year truck. Is it a drop in pump, or what is the difference?
12. Will my AC bolt right up to this unit or what would I need to do?
13. Are the dirty dingo motor mounts the way to go?
14. Is my truck right now, Drive by wire?

Last edited:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
1. The LQ9 is the vortec max, more 'streety' I suppose, but either will be fine for the odd tow..
2. 2000-2002 I believe were STILL a drive by cable, not a drive by wire, drive by cable is easier to get set up.
3. The LQ4 with headers and a cam, 350hp and around same torque, rough guesstimate.
4. I've heard up to 20mpg!
5. There are headers made for these swaps apparently.
6. Don't have to modify stock harness to get **** working! Plug n play
7. No idea!
8. Moar powerrrr
9. Sure, but for how long is the question
10. Yes, way to go
11. You already have a vortec pump if its a 98
12. I do not think that it does. Hits the frame on pass side I believe
13. They are adjustable, so I think they'd be your best bet for getting the motor plunked in.
14. Drive by cable

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if the motor I am looking at comes with the ECM and PCM it would plug and play no need for an aftermarket harness. What would I have to do for my ac to get it working

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
5. http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/LS1-TRUCK.htm Are what i used.
If you get a complete engine with harness and PCM, there is no need for an aftermarket harness. You do not have to modify your donor engine harness, you can leave the wires you are not going to use in the harness. I modified mine for a cleaner look. The PCM will need power and ground, you will have to find those in the harness and get power to them. Look here: http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Well I think doing the LQ4/LQ9 swap is better than a built 350 that is carbbed. I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum and ls1tech and other sites. I still have a couple questions though. I will be putting this into my 1998 chevy ECSB.

Engine Questions:
1. Which engine is better LQ4 or LQ9 for a fast street car that will be towing stuff sometimes?
LQ4 is more boost friendly
2. Is there a certain year engine I should be looking for?
Doesnt matter
3. How much hp/torque am I looking at if I put a set of headers and a cam in it?
About what was posted above. Give or take.
4. What MPG am I looking at with this motor?
About what was posted above. Give or take.
5. What brand headers should I use?
What Draggin said
6. I have read about stand a lone wiring harnesses, what is the benefit of using them?
Costly but plug n play. With your truck you can modify your stock harness and depin the stock PCM and repin to the new PCM LT1swap.com
7. Is there anybody in Florida that can tune my motor like MJE does?
Not Sure
8. People say they swap to a TBSS 6.0 intake, what is the benefit of this?
Better Flow

Transmission Questions:
9. Will a 4l60E handle 450 hp from the motor?
Ive heard up near 600-650
10. Or will a 4l80E be the way to go?
That is a better way to go. But it is heavier if weight is a concern

Other Questions:
11. People say you have to change the fuel pump out to a vortec style pump from a later year truck. Is it a drop in pump, or what is the difference?
Your pump will work
12. Will my AC bolt right up to this unit or what would I need to do?
Search either here or at LS1truck.com for LEXTECH. He makes a kit that keeps our AC in the stock location.
13. Are the dirty dingo motor mounts the way to go?
YES!!!!!!!
14. Is my truck right now, Drive by wire?
NO!!!!!!

My LQ4 is a DBW and it came out of a 2001 Yukon Denali. The Denali's were DBW while others of the same early years were DBC.

LS1truck.com and LT1swap.com will be your go to sites for these swaps. Loaded with info.

I hoped I helped some with your questions. I too am STILL learning but I have gathered a lot of info by just reading. Another site to check out is LSXtv.com in their tech section. I get them on my facebook news feed.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Here is the AC bracket kit from Lextech pics
You must be registered for see images attach

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
What exactly is different from the TBSS intake over the normal truck??? What makes it make more power??