LQ4/4L80E/NP243 SWAP -HELP-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackalope

Reaction score
Greetings 400,

Nebie here - Skills set (Moderate)

The Goods:
I have a 97 2 door Tahoe (SFI)5.7 Vortec with AC - 4L60E - NP243 transfer case PCM/ECM service #16229684 (Black Box). The is my baby and she is tired at 280,753 so I have decided that it is time to do a power train swap. I purchased a 2006 LQ4 along with a 4L80E, complete with a wire harness PCM service # 12589463 and gas pedal (TAC Module is missing -Drive by Wire) that came out of a 2006 Sierra 2500' at a mid boggling price of $1000.00. Yes the engine is in awesome condition and I do plan on rebuilding it in stock form as my Tahoe will be my Hoe for the rest of my life..

Mission objective:
I plan on installing the (6.0L) LQ4/4L80E I need help understating the wire portion of it, the rest I pretty much have handled (Nuts+bolt=Wrenches) I live in California (Yes it does suck) so I will need to keep my emissions intact.

The Bad:
I don't know how the wiring portion works when it comes to this type of set up especially with the NP243. Now I know some will come guns blazing and say get rid of that POS 243.. to its defense this transfer case has been through hell and back 100 times over and has not once had any issues so that being said it will stay (not to mention that its one hell of a convince) All I need is to know what wires do I need to keep and what wires I don't from my original harness to merge to the new harness/PCM.

Much appreciated,
Jackalope

Zach Kramer

Reaction score
I am curious how this goes for you as I am interested in doing a similar swap also! The things I know your goin to run into are motor mounts you will have to get some sort of adapter as gen 3 engine have a different bolt pattern and they are located differently than a gen 1 350. Also you may have to change drive shaft lenths so keeping the trans located in the factory location will prolly be a goal? Also you might not be able to keep that 243 t case because I think the 4l80 has a bigger output shaft so that being said your Polly goin to have to get a different one or find an adapter to work with it, wiring wise lol reuse the factory harness it will be the easiest