lower control arm clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i spent all day grinding and cutting and just when i thought i took off enough i put my tire back on and checked the clearance, it looked like had trimmed enough to clear the rim but after a short test drive it still rubs on a hard right turns....back at it this coming saturday...it's not gonna be fun expecting temps this coming weekend is 110 degrees

YEAH WTF Warmed up quick this year!!

I ran into that too, ended up knocking the weights off and had to have the tire shop rebalance them.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You guys are absolutely correct... trimming the gutters is a common practice but, I just don't do things that way... I'd rather spend the money and do it right the first time and not sweat it. That's just me - Once I reused a set a ubolts in my slammed b2200 back in the day....Rollin down I-10 in Florida (****** road back in the day) I hit a rough patch and snapped 1 going 70mph... truck did the hula into a 180 before I could get it to stop. Scared the **** out of me... lesson learned.
The difference here being that you're specifically not supposed to re-use U-bolts. :) The failure is eminent.. you just don't know when.

Richard

CHiNO693

Reaction score
You have 2 choices, bigger wheels or if you have room, spacers but, I'd go with bigger wheels. Drop spindles often cause interference with 15" rims depending on the backspacing.
I recently got 17" rims on my 94 gmc and they rubbing my lower control arm, any suggestion on what to do next? I already cut piece of the gutters out and i was not having any clearance issues on my stock 15s but when i got some 17s i have clearance issues again.

Hope that makes sense =)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I recently got 17" rims on my 94 gmc and they rubbing my lower control arm, any suggestion on what to do next? I already cut piece of the gutters out and i was not having any clearance issues on my stock 15s but when i got some 17s i have clearance issues again.

Hope that makes sense =)
Depends on where you're rubbing and the specs on your truck, drop, wheels, tires, etc. You should start your own post with those details included, instead of jumping on this one, just gonna confuse people trying to help since your truck is different than OP's

Richard

altamirj

Reaction score
Late to the thread here but have a question if the lower control arm gets hit with stock rims instead of trimming them would tubular control arm be a good option?