lower control arm clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voodoopig

Reaction score
I just finished up a 4-6” drop on my 96 sierra and found my front wheels don’t clear my lower control arms, I have 15x8 torque thrusts on 225/70/15’s

Any idea on how to fix this beside buying bigger wheels?....thx

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have 2 choices, bigger wheels or if you have room, spacers but, I'd go with bigger wheels. Drop spindles often cause interference with 15" rims depending on the backspacing.

voodoopig

Reaction score
You have 2 choices, bigger wheels or if you have room, spacers but, I'd go with bigger wheels. Drop spindles often cause interference with 15" rims depending on the backspacing.

thanks for the reply, I do plan on getting bigger wheels but that won't happen until october....i did find a post where someone had cut the "gutters" from their lower control arms to clear their rims, i'm gonna try that for now, I do plan on going to tubular control arms later on so trimming these is no big deal....i just want to get my ride on the rode....thx

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
the gutters are there for strength... no gutters, no strength. I wouldn't suggest any Dukes of Hazard action.
While I do agree with you, trimming the gutters is the accepted means of making clearance for stock size wheels. BellTech even has (had?) pre-stamped A-shaped gusset type pieces you could buy to weld in after trimming the gutters. Never seen anybody use them, though. I guess anybody with enough skills to weld in those gussets could also make their own a lot easier than buying some. :)

My '92 ECLB had trimmed gutters and I showed that truck no mercy. When I rebuilt the front end around 225K I replaced the control arms with un-trimmed boneyard pieces, but only because it was easier to press those bushings out and the new ones in (urethane, so I needed to re-use the OEM sleeves), and also the new ball joints, and have them ready to install to minimize my downtime. By then I was already running 20's so I no longer needed the trimmed arms that the original 15's required.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Both of my trucks have had the LCAs trimmed for many years. Over 26 years between the 2 of them
I've driven the snot outa both of them. Throwing them through the twisties, I'm the last guy on the brakes, the first on the gas.
I wear out the outer edges of my front tires way before the rest of the tire is worn out. I kill shocks.
How do you know where the limit is, if you don't go out and find it?
Nothing better than a Sunday afternoon of blasting through the kick-ass mountain & canyon backroads around here. At speed. Looking for the perfect downshift, that perfect apex, & then mashing the skinny pedal sooner than the next guy.
Canada, here, so limits (? Suggestions!) are posted in Euro-****** metric. I'll either try to double up on the posted speed, (30kmh corners @ 60kmh) or read them as MPH. (80kmh (50mph) = 80mph.)
If there's any type of weakness in a vehicle with the drivetrain or suspension components, I'll find it.
The trimmed LCAs has not been one of them.
On my black truck, I'd inspect the LCAs everytime I serviced it over the first few years after they were done. That truck's LCAs have been done for over 17 years now.
They've never shown a problem with any type of spreading, bending or cracking. Even with all the B.S I've put them through.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys are absolutely correct... trimming the gutters is a common practice but, I just don't do things that way... I'd rather spend the money and do it right the first time and not sweat it. That's just me - Once I reused a set a ubolts in my slammed b2200 back in the day....Rollin down I-10 in Florida (****** road back in the day) I hit a rough patch and snapped 1 going 70mph... truck did the hula into a 180 before I could get it to stop. Scared the **** out of me... lesson learned.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I clearanced mine years ago before I got 17 inch rims. Those lower arms are super thick, you aren't compromising the integrity of anything. Grind away ...

voodoopig

Reaction score
I clearanced mine years ago before I got 17 inch rims. Those lower arms are super thick, you aren't compromising the integrity of anything. Grind away ...
i spent all day grinding and cutting and just when i thought i took off enough i put my tire back on and checked the clearance, it looked like had trimmed enough to clear the rim but after a short test drive it still rubs on a hard right turns....back at it this coming saturday...it's not gonna be fun expecting temps this coming weekend is 110 degrees